Can I keep anything with my puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cleggat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a green spotted puffer in a brackish tank right now but she will eventually be in a SW tank, I am a noob to sw as all my tanks are fw, I was wondering if I could keep anything with my puffer? I've been told that you can't keep anything else with them e.g. live rock or any other animals. I can understand why they aren't kept with anything else, but I was just curious. Thanks :flowers:

I also have green spotted puffer or GSP. The problem with these little buggers is that they are very unpredicatable like all fish that we get. Some can co-habitat with others and some are viscious lil guys. You should have no problem using live rock, they wont bother that at all. It's everything else that moves. I have seen people with mutiple tankmates in with the GSP with no problems. This doesn't mean that down the road you wont have a problem. Just like mine he is always buzzing around the tank, greets me at the glass when I come home, but you never know with these guys, very unpredicatble...you could have a tank full of nice fish at night...and wake up in the morning and he'll be buzzing around with a smile....and a fin hanging out his mouth and no other fish.

So to really answer your question can he be kept with live rock or other animals...yes and with caution...yes to the live rock but with other tankmates i would say with caution...

All in all...great fish to have, just like a puppy...I love mine.

That's the answer I was looking for, I wanted to keep live rock! People say that you can keep another gsp with them.. Imo mine would tear the other apart and most likely eat it.. Since they're poisonous it would result bad for the both of the puffers. I seem to be getting a collection of oddballs with their own tanks.. My puffer (intentional) and my prawn (not intentional), I must admit though they are both well worth it. Thanks a bunch!

Well, he's a puffer, and is green, black and white, when I was little I used to like a kids show named the powerpuff girls, the green and black one was named Buttercup so.. My puffer is called Buttercup, got a few, she's in a 10 gallon at the moment which is going to be upgraded to a 40! :)

Back
Top Bottom