can i keep my shrimp i found in with my brine shrimps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryanmc1988

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well i was at the ocean today and i scoop up a small shrimp and it has eggs.. its clear white and it seems to have a bit of a green color inside of it below its head... no idea what kinda shrimp it is.. but can i keep it in with my newly hatch brine shrimps tank or will be there a problem? or will it eat my newly hatched brine shrimps... let me know asap

also what do shrimps eat its carrying eggs so i'm not sure what to do right now... lol

link of the shrimp... what is it? lol

LINK:

Post a pic.... Plus coming out the ocean, idk if that's a good idea IMO.

Ya my thought is how happy would you be if someone plucked you from the world where you get to go where you want when you want and eat whatever you want(endless options) and have sex with who you want and then all of a sudden your in a jail cell where you only eat every so often and certain food and no sex. You wouldn't be very happy.

It is a shrimp after all. I agree with taking creatures from the ocean in certain cases being a bad idea, but shrimp are plentiful and reproduce on a massive scale. While his life in the wild may be great, he is also probably going to get eaten by a predator soon.

you can keep it in a saltwater fish tank, but it might not do well in a brine shrimp tank.
it really depnds on how you have it set up
and most people setup brine shrimp like a factory
I would let it go unless you have a saltwater tank

Most of the fish, shrimp, coral, etc, that you buy from internet or lfs, come straight from the ocean.

But noboday can change that. We can controll what WE do, and that isnt our place. Putting a wild shrimp in a fish tank will kill it quicker then any predator, and if i were the shrimp, id gladly be eaten first. And ya they reproduce quickly, but thats not the point. When iv gone scuba diving, iv seen all these fish in their natural habitats, its terrible to think someone would just pick one up and stick in an aquarium..

I am also a diver and have come to love fragging corals so I don't have to collect from the wild. If you feel this way, why are you in the hobby at all?

I guess i am a hypocrite. I just could never take anything from the ocean myself. But i don't even have the option so I'll keep my mouth zipped!

I certainly was in the early days. It is why I really hated to loose anything at all. Now that we frag, it is much more sustainable and as more and more fish species are tank raised it is getting better.

I aquired most of my corals as rescues from the LFS and other hobbyists, so at least I feel I was saving something already collected at least.

i didnt take her...()shrimp) on purpose... i was getting ocean water for my brine shrimp tank and i didnt relize when i got home and there was something swiming in the water... took a closer look and BAM a shrimp with eggs lol no salt water tank besides my brine shrimp tank but thats only for feeding and grow out tank for the brine shrimp... here is a link to a video it keeps swiming lol

LINK: what kinda shrimp is this? - YouTube

a sea horse? lol race!!! jk its a shrimp it gets closer near the end

Gboy66 said:
But noboday can change that. We can controll what WE do, and that isnt our place. Putting a wild shrimp in a fish tank will kill it quicker then any predator, and if i were the shrimp, id gladly be eaten first. And ya they reproduce quickly, but thats not the point. When iv gone scuba diving, iv seen all these fish in their natural habitats, its terrible to think someone would just pick one up and stick in an aquarium..

Question,where do your brackish aquarium fish come from?

Ricksreef said:
Question,where do your brackish aquarium fish come from?

I dont have brakish. Fresh. Im just sayin, its wrong to take directly. I know that say i buy a fish from an lfs, it could have been caught wild but we cant change that.

It's a grass shrimp of some kind either Hippolyte spp. or Palaemonetes spp. Kinda hard to tell but since it's green I'm
leaning towards Hippolyte. U could put it in a regular tank, depending on whats in it, they are a favorite food of a lot of fish. I would not put it in ur brine shrimp tank as it will probably go to town on them.

Even baby brine shrimp are too big for baby shrimp to eat. Mom might chow down. But unless you have Rotifers ready to go, they won't make it anyways. Fish food.

if its body is clear/cloudy and it has a green pouch under it.... my guess would be ghost shrimp honestly... dont know if they live in sw or not but thats a perfect description of a pregnant female ghost shrimp

well its free for anyone who want to come pick it up... i'm from san diego near sdsu college

Hate to mention it, but if it is a ghost shrimp, no one is gonna pick it up, they can be had for less than a dollar at most lfs

Back
Top Bottom