Can I keep two clownfish in a 24 gallon tank (fish only)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilA

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an unused 24 gallon tank new in box and have been thinking of trying saltwater with a pair of clownfish (likely false percs, tank raised). Is this doable? Or is 30 gallons an absolute must? If doable, what we would be the best set-up for a fish only tank? Can a stable environment be created without live sand or live rock?

I think they would probobly be ok if you got small ones. I would suggest the live rock though, in such a small enviroment you need all the biological leeway you can get. You could even start with some base rock to save some money and seed it with just a couple of pieces of live rock. You reall ydon't need that much sand and could get cheap sand and seed it with a bit from a buddy's tank.

But I think a pair of clowns would be fine together! At full adult size you may wanna move them to a bit bigger tank, but they would be fine for quite a while if not forever in there!

make sure you get Clowns that stay relatively small like tank raised percs or false percs.
Agree a larger tank may be need for the future.

I've got 2 false percs in a 20L for QT (which has turned out to be a very long QT thanks to hubby dragging his feet on the display tank) and I feel very comfortable with them in there. They are not active swimmers; really, they only use about 1/2 the tank. I'm running the thing with just a sponge filter and an old Penguin 125 (no biowheel) and while I certainly wouldn't recommend this for a "real" tank I've had no problems keeping the water quality good--no ammonia, no nitrite, nitrate 2.5. (I do 20% water changes every week, though.) Based on what I've seen with my pair, I think a 24 would be a fine home. I think you can create a stable environment without LR or LS with a light bio-load, but the LR makes for such a rich and interesting environment that to me it doesn't make sense to go without.

Back
Top Bottom