Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

you guys think i should be running my 250W MH to try to grow algee faster ??

i purchased snails and crabs from online store . thats kinda a reason why i purchased so much because it was a cleaner kit for my size tank .

Old 09-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would not suggest doing anything to grow algae. You are going to loose some snails and hermits...it happens...that cleaner pack is great for an established tank but not a brand new one. There just isn't a large enough food source in the tank to support that many inverts yet.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

so then there is no need at all to be running my MH light than right ?

thanks for everyones help , i'll post water tests when my kit comes .
Old 09-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

here is my water tests ... i was wondering how close to the line in the tube should you be ? above the line ? below the line ? the line is about 1/8 inch thick . these are very close , the colors are sometimes not so easy to tell but i think i got it right .

ph ... 7.8ppm
ammonia ... 0.25ppm
nitrate ... 80ppm or more
nitrite ... 2.0ppm

ok so if these are high or low could someone please tell me how i should go about makeing it better . i just did a 5 gal water change in my 45 gal tank only 2 days ago and one a week or less before that . help please
Old 09-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like your tank is cycling. From your first post, sounds like there are fish in there so you probably want to do water changes daily to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down as low as you can. In hindsight, it probably would've been better to cycle the tank without the fish as suggested in a previous post, but you are where you are. Ammonia/nitrites are toxic to fish and you want to keep those numbers low. Normally, you want them to be zero, but you need some ammonia/nitrite to build up the beneficial bacteria.

Your nitrates are extremely high for a tank that is cycling. Either there was some "user error" when testing, or you're using some really nasty water. Are you using tap water?

I wouldn't worry about pH right now - you normally want it around 8.0-8.4, but during a cycle it will wander all over the place.

I'm thinking 20% water changes daily to keep those ammonia and nitrite levels down, or you're going to be losing livestock.

[Edit: Ooooooh... I just reread your first post and you've got quite a few live critters in there. Definitely keep on top of those water parameters and test daily.]
Old 09-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ok so i have 45 gal tank but i have alot of rock and a pretty deep sand bed . so is 10 gals of water a day to much ? and for how long should i do this ? thanks for your help
Old 09-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think it's too much - just make sure your water change water is matched in both temperature and salinity to your tank water. In reality, with nitrite levels of 2.0 I'd probably do 25-30% of a change. Those are pretty high.

With the nitrite high, and the ammonia pretty low, I'd guess that you're on the tail end of the cycle and you'll probably be cycled in a couple weeks. But I'd do it for as long as you detectable ammonia and nitrites.

Tags
invertebrates, stock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com