Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

over stock my tank ... how to keep everything alive ? pics

i have a new 45 gal tank (month or so old) . i added 3 clownfish to get the tank started and there doing fine . i was wonder if 30 crabs and 30 snails would be to much ? i have also added 4 pepermint shrimp an 2 bristtle starfish and 2 feather dusters .

i was hopeing to get a good cleaning crew going then let the tank cycle for awhile before adding anything new .

Old 09-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site. You may want to browse the fishless cycle and articles linked at the bottom of my sig. I wouldn't add anything else to the tank until the cycle is complete.
3 clowns (same species?) will have issues. The stars and shrimp and dusters might not make it through a cycle.
When you consider a clean up crew in a new tank, think small because there won't be much for them to eat.
I'm not a fan of hermits (you are talking about hermits right?) and 30 would be waaay too many to start off with in a 45.
I am guessing you are starting to see algae and are trying to throw a clean up crew to fix this...?
What are you water parameters?
PS, if your LFS gave you the advice to add all that before your cycle completes, you may want to consider another LFS.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

In a new tank that will be too much crabs and snails. There is not much for them to eat in a new tank. Read our article on fishless cycle in our articles section for info on cycling the tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ok , it's been awhile since i have had a saltwater tank . i think i just go over board to fast . so say i already added all of the above fish and invertebrates how would i go about keeping them all alive ?

i live in florida so i got my sand right from the ocean , if that helps . all my rock was from another saltwater tank that was dried and cleaned . my lighting is 2 30w NO t12's and a 250w MH that i am not useing much yet .

since the damage is done i was just hopeing to find away thought this and keep everything alive . any advice would be great ....

thanks , i was looking at a few sites and this one looked the best so here i am . my clowns are all the same (false nemo kinda clowns ). i read over the fishless cycle i guess i should have done more research before starting another fish tank . i ordered a test kit it should be here any day then i can check my water . i have been doing 5 gal weekly water changes and everything is good so far .
Old 09-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I am hearing right you do not have any live rock? What are you using for filtration?

1 Powder Blue Tang, 1 Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Talbot Damsel, 1 YWG, 1 Red Honey Damsel.
Patroklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

filtration ... i have 2 biowheel style filters ...

here is a pic

Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

any help ?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I were you I would try and take some of those snails and crabs back, those are usually high turnover items at an LFS so I doubt they would have a problem.

You could also add dried seaweed/algea waffers to the tank to give the citters something to eat while your tank matures.

1 Powder Blue Tang, 1 Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Talbot Damsel, 1 YWG, 1 Red Honey Damsel.
Patroklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
Thanx but no.....

That's some sweet rock work. Looks great
Old 09-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That is some great looking LR.

I have to agree about taking some of the snails and crabs back. I wouldn't suggest adding too much food for them to eat as you could create more problems then you solve.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
invertebrates, stock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com