CAN I PUT ANYTHING IN A LOBSTER TANK?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason

Aquarium Advice FINatic
there is an auction tomorrow,

they have lobster tanks.

If they are cheap should I buy 1 or 2 or 3 or however many i can get????

LOBSTER TANKS!!!!!!!111!!!!!!111

seriously, could I keep anything in one you think? I'm going to go look at them today. hopefully they will be decent.

TTT

sorry for bumping this, but I want to know weather or not to waste my time

They are setup for the food industy, filtration is usually through a UGF style setup (water drains through the bottom grate to catch Lobster waste), the tanks are acylic and built into tank stands (which have wheels usually). The tank stand would be filled with pipes and a chiller and there is not much room down there to stick equipment. Mainenence usually requires hand tools jsut to get access inside the tank stand.

Not really the optimal setup for a reef tank, but workable :)

Lobster tank

All the lobster tanks I've seen are pretty trashy looking, all scratchy, supermarket plexi-glass doesn't usually look showroom. They are usually pretty thick too, assuming they are the commercial kind that is, you would definitely have to custom build some sort of canopy.

I would stick to actual aquariums, its nice to know where something is coming from and also to know that there are no leaks or stress points waiting to explode!!!

I bought a second hand tank once, 33gallon, no leaks, silocone seals all good. 2 weeks later it burst apart at the seams, what a freakin mess, no refund either because it was second hand. luckily I only had LR in there. You get what you pay for, not withstanding the fact that you occasionally do find a diamond in the rough.!

So, its your call, if its dirt cheap, go for it, but really give it a good inspection in and out, pull on the edges to see if there is any buckling and such, maybe fill it up with fresh water and let it sit over night with no pumps or anything, just to check the levels in the morning, so you know for sure if it leaks, but by then you already paid for it, so back to what I said in the previous paragraph, you pays your moneys yous takes your chances!!!

Lobsters are COLD water creatures and therefor if its a full setup it would have a fairly heafty chiller included. There are no COLD water creatures in the normal TROPICAL retail trade. If they are just the tank thats excess you could bypass the chiller and use it as a tropical setup but again all the tanks I have seen use floor mounted filtration making it next to impossible to put in substrate, etc.

I think a Lobster tank would make a good frag tank if you replace the chiller with a skimmer or a sump/fuge. Really depends on how cheap you can get one and if you are prepared for some DIY to get it setup. And if you need a frag tank :)

Back
Top Bottom