Can I put Macroalgaes in my Display Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgc0286

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering about a simple question.. When using macroalgae in a sump is it good to physically remove pieces from the sump and place small amounts into the display tank or will everything get enough nutrients from the trace elements that it puts in the water?

If the macro is in your sump, then you do not need to put any of it in your display. Also, macroalgae doesn't put any "trace elements" in the water. It uses the excess nutrients in your water, such as phosphates and nitrates.

Okay, I was just going to get a gracilaria algae, but then I found a package with that and a couple of other algaes, and a bag of sand with amphipods and copepods. What benifits do the amphipods and copepods bring??

I keep grape calerpa in my fuge and put a ball of it in my main every other week. I feed my tangs with it. It does not last long with them in the tank.

How big of a ball are we talking? How fast does it grow in your fuge??

I have a 40 gallon fuge and it`s half full of it. I put it in about 5 yrs ago and it has not run out yet. It produces fast. The only thing about grape calerpa is that it needs 24/7 lighting in the fuge and constant pruning hence the reason I pull out a ball of it every two weeks. It will go sexual on you and turn your water milky white if you dont. There is a little risk there.

What kind of lighitng do you use for it, hopefully just CF's because I have an extra fixture.

Back
Top Bottom