Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by Caige View Post
Thanks... the garage is nice just no cllimate control. I'm out there a couple hours a night... it's where I think and work on my hobbies!
Ahhh.....the MANROOM!! Or as my wife calls it.....the doghouse. :p

75g Reef.
Wet/dry converted into sump with a Bubble Magus NAC7 cone skimmer, MAG7 return, 200 micron filter socks, Vortech MP40w + two returns for flow. Current Sundial T5 + two retro Icecap T5's (6 bulbs),
Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yes you can, one of our local fish stores actually got started this way. 2 other small local sellers also do this with success. Just be careful about contaminating your tank with different chemicals

coralife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks everyone.. think I will take the dive

Coralife1 -- you live in Tampa?
Caige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Probably your most important pieces of equipment will be a dehumidifier and exhaust fans along with trying to insulate as much as possible. You do not want to waste heat/cool by letting it flow freely through improperly sealed areas nor do you want the accumulating moisture to rot your house/foundations. Easily done with necessary precautions.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Be sure to properly "size" your chiller. Chiller capacities are rated according to "temp pull down", which means how much cooler the tank water is than the ambient (tempterature of the garage) itself, hence you need to know how hot the garage gets during the summer, and how cool you plan to keep the water when you are ordering the unit. Most chiller manufacturers can supply you with a chart which will help you figure the proper size chiller for your tank. Also, remember to figure in the heat created by your lighting as well if you plan to go with a reef or other heavily lighted tank. Good luck.
NeptuneJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
I am just wondering why you wouldn't want to put the reef tank in the house? I am sure you could find a spot The Garage unless it has climate control is risky and you would be the only one that would enjoy it Do you have a couch in your garage?? In the house everyone in your family or your friends could comment on the Beauty of a reef tank.

120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to Dyami
I don't think it matters much that it isn't where everyone else can enjoy it. No one appreciates your tank the same way you do anyway.
Dyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yeah, what Dyami said. LOL Actually I have one in the house. I just would like one in the garage where I spend most my time

Caige is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com