Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can I put reef tank in garage?

I'm thinking the answer to this is no... but here it goes

I have a garage that is NOT air conditioned/heated. If I purchase a 125g tank with Chiller and heaters... is it okay to put in the garage?

Another worry I would have is that the Dryer is also in garage and even though it is ventilated.. i'm not sure if it plays a part in the decision

I do live in Floria (Tampa) so humidity def plays a role.

Am I asking for trouble?

Old 09-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

With no temperature regulation in the room, I think you'd have a time keeping the temps stable? I don't image it gets overly cold in Tampa so with a chiller, it may work. Otherwise, my only other concern would be that for me, it would lessen my enjoyment having to go outside in the heat or cold to look and take care of my tank but that more a personal thing.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks... the garage is nice just no cllimate control. I'm out there a couple hours a night... it's where I think and work on my hobbies!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That would make a difference then. I was thinking, if you fill a tub of water and watch the temps for a few days, that may give you some idea of stability and if a chiller would be needed.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would be careful with your other hobbies, so that nothing bad gets in the tank.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think it would be an issue... just size your heaters accordingly based upon your normal low temp in the garage.

I'd be more concerned about fumes from gasoline, etc - but depending on your garage, that might not be a problem. (Seems like most folks these days don't actually park in their garage! Go figure.)
Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks all... yeah, no car goes into my garage.... no gas cans or inflammables are stored in it either.... the only thing I could think of was the dryer ventilation and humidity...

I will just get a bigger chiller and heater than normally suggested to make sure it can maintain constant +/- 2...
Old 09-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not a saltie but if you like doing projects in your garage (woodworking) I would be worried about sawdust and the like getting into the tank. I suppose with a tight lid the possibility could be minimized. I would do like Fluff said and just a fill a tub with water and monitor the temp for a few days.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

only thing that will most likely end up in tank are lizards or bugs... I'm a geek.. my hobbies are computers, RC's fixing electronics and of course -- AQUARIUMS (guess i should have also said poker)
Old 09-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've seen it done before (aquarium in a garage) here in Toronto, where the tempature dips below freezing in the winters, and the summer high's like to hit over 100°F during peak months. This was in a non-air conditioned garage, and only heated on demand... (when he was working on a car, then he could turn on a heater in there to warm things up.), but it wasn't a constant temp... HOWEVER, was he kept the place very well insulated. This was in his garage where he built cars as a hobby. He said he's never had any problems, except there is now a crack in the side of one of the glasses where something hit it carelessly, and he had to silicone it up.
This was a few years ago, while I was still a freshie, so I never really asked (or would've understood) the precautions he took... his tank looked to be around 180g, which I assume could play a role as well... (larger bodies of water take longer for temperature fluctuations to occur.)
I think if you took the precautions for nothing to accidentally fall into the water, and if you were to be starting engines all the time, then possibly port a hole through the wall, make a custom little box to house your air pumps, and have it draw it's air from outside instead of within the garage, and of course have the appropriate chillers / heaters, then you'll be fine.
It'll just take a little extra planning is all...

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com