Can I put reef tank in garage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking the answer to this is no... but here it goes

I have a garage that is NOT air conditioned/heated. If I purchase a 125g tank with Chiller and heaters... is it okay to put in the garage?

Another worry I would have is that the Dryer is also in garage and even though it is ventilated.. i'm not sure if it plays a part in the decision

I do live in Floria (Tampa) so humidity def plays a role.

Am I asking for trouble?

With no temperature regulation in the room, I think you'd have a time keeping the temps stable? I don't image it gets overly cold in Tampa so with a chiller, it may work. Otherwise, my only other concern would be that for me, it would lessen my enjoyment having to go outside in the heat or cold to look and take care of my tank but that more a personal thing.

Thanks... the garage is nice just no cllimate control. I'm out there a couple hours a night... it's where I think and work on my hobbies!

That would make a difference then. :) I was thinking, if you fill a tub of water and watch the temps for a few days, that may give you some idea of stability and if a chiller would be needed.

I would be careful with your other hobbies, so that nothing bad gets in the tank.

I don't think it would be an issue... just size your heaters accordingly based upon your normal low temp in the garage.

I'd be more concerned about fumes from gasoline, etc - but depending on your garage, that might not be a problem. (Seems like most folks these days don't actually park in their garage! Go figure.)

Thanks all... yeah, no car goes into my garage.... no gas cans or inflammables are stored in it either.... the only thing I could think of was the dryer ventilation and humidity...

I will just get a bigger chiller and heater than normally suggested to make sure it can maintain constant +/- 2...

I'm not a saltie but if you like doing projects in your garage (woodworking) I would be worried about sawdust and the like getting into the tank. I suppose with a tight lid the possibility could be minimized. I would do like Fluff said and just a fill a tub with water and monitor the temp for a few days.

only thing that will most likely end up in tank are lizards or bugs... I'm a geek.. my hobbies are computers, RC's fixing electronics and of course -- AQUARIUMS (guess i should have also said poker)

I've seen it done before (aquarium in a garage) here in Toronto, where the tempature dips below freezing in the winters, and the summer high's like to hit over 100°F during peak months. This was in a non-air conditioned garage, and only heated on demand... (when he was working on a car, then he could turn on a heater in there to warm things up.), but it wasn't a constant temp... HOWEVER, was he kept the place very well insulated. This was in his garage where he built cars as a hobby. He said he's never had any problems, except there is now a crack in the side of one of the glasses where something hit it carelessly, and he had to silicone it up.
This was a few years ago, while I was still a freshie, so I never really asked (or would've understood) the precautions he took... his tank looked to be around 180g, which I assume could play a role as well... (larger bodies of water take longer for temperature fluctuations to occur.)
I think if you took the precautions for nothing to accidentally fall into the water, and if you were to be starting engines all the time, then possibly port a hole through the wall, make a custom little box to house your air pumps, and have it draw it's air from outside instead of within the garage, and of course have the appropriate chillers / heaters, then you'll be fine.
It'll just take a little extra planning is all...

Thanks... the garage is nice just no cllimate control. I'm out there a couple hours a night... it's where I think and work on my hobbies!

Ahhh.....the MANROOM!! Or as my wife calls it.....the doghouse. :p

Yes you can, one of our local fish stores actually got started this way. 2 other small local sellers also do this with success. Just be careful about contaminating your tank with different chemicals

Jake

Thanks everyone.. think I will take the dive :)

Coralife1 -- you live in Tampa?

Probably your most important pieces of equipment will be a dehumidifier and exhaust fans along with trying to insulate as much as possible. You do not want to waste heat/cool by letting it flow freely through improperly sealed areas nor do you want the accumulating moisture to rot your house/foundations. Easily done with necessary precautions.

Be sure to properly "size" your chiller. Chiller capacities are rated according to "temp pull down", which means how much cooler the tank water is than the ambient (tempterature of the garage) itself, hence you need to know how hot the garage gets during the summer, and how cool you plan to keep the water when you are ordering the unit. Most chiller manufacturers can supply you with a chart which will help you figure the proper size chiller for your tank. Also, remember to figure in the heat created by your lighting as well if you plan to go with a reef or other heavily lighted tank. Good luck.

I am just wondering why you wouldn't want to put the reef tank in the house? I am sure you could find a spot The Garage unless it has climate control is risky and you would be the only one that would enjoy it Do you have a couch in your garage?? In the house everyone in your family or your friends could comment on the Beauty of a reef tank.

I don't think it matters much that it isn't where everyone else can enjoy it. No one appreciates your tank the same way you do anyway.

Yeah, what Dyami said. LOL Actually I have one in the house. I just would like one in the garage where I spend most my time

Back
Top Bottom