Can I reduce the light time to try and reduce diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pikey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi is there a curtain time you should have your main lights on?
I have a 29g nano cube with 150w mh light I currently have it on for 12 hours. Is this to long corals, gsp, duncans, xania polyps all doing well but do get diatoms but the tank has only been running 2 months.

Can I reduce the light time to try and reduce diatoms plus also some green algae on rocks without affecting my corals?

Is it just trial and error or can it be worked out by size of tank and lighting power cheers for any help

I've got a 125 gallon with 384 watts I used to have them on that long and diatoms kept building they're still present in my tank but I lowered the time I had them on and they turn on at 11 and turn off at 8 I also have corals and they do fine if I were u I would lower the time u have ur lights on but make it a week process so ur corals don't go in "shock" just every other day subtract an hour until u get 8 or 9 hours and that will b more than enough time for your corals and ur diatoms will lower but that's a good sign that u have diatoms because that meens ur tank is being cycled correctly... just lower your light time I was even told to lower it to 6 hours lol! But 8 or 9 will be fine and make sure to change your lightbulbs every year max so your corals still get that light intensity they need.. good luck hope this helps...

thanks for the advice i will defiantly try that the diatoms aint that bad just discolours the sand substrate and then my sand sifting star cleans it up over night. will try it thanks again

I had some bad algae and reduced my lighting to 7 hours. They turned on at 11 and off at 6. This didn't seem to effect my corals at all.
(i have a 28 gal nano with the same lighting)

I now have them on from 1030 till 630 and my corals are still very happy and growing a lot.

That's good to know especially since u have the same tank I will defiantly change it.

Do you have heat issues with your tank my lighting really warms it up quick so had to turn heater up so temp says around 80 other wise I get a big swing.

If so how u got round it appreciate the info

Yah i do have tank heat issues. I leave the top feeding lid open and also open the tank lid a crack (i just stick a syringe or something in the crack to keep it lifted). I keep my heater at 75 and it heats to about 78 during the day and drops to about 76 at night..if it goes any lower the heater will kick in.

Back
Top Bottom