Can I run my tank w/out a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It does, but it's all out, the only thing that sits in the back is a deltec mce600.

No red sea skimmer trash in my house thanks.

Leighton79, your tank does look fabulous! Do your rocks sit straight on the glass bottom?

I'm stopping by the lfs today for a HOB filter for the GAC and then I'll unhook the canister filter tonight. I am, however, going to make a little experiment. I'm going to set my canister filter to run in a bucket of saltwater and see if I get a measurable reading of nitrates... plus it'll keep the BB on my ceramic rings alive just in case I don't have enough BB in the tank alone. I have a lot of frags that I do not want to lose! :blink:

I have a koralia 550 and a nano koralia 240. It doesn't seem like anything has much chance of settling on the substrate.

TeamTrash said:
Leighton79, your tank does look fabulous! Do your rocks sit straight on the glass bottom?

I'm stopping by the lfs today for a HOB filter for the GAC and then I'll unhook the canister filter tonight. I am, however, going to make a little experiment. I'm going to set my canister filter to run in a bucket of saltwater and see if I get a measurable reading of nitrates... plus it'll keep the BB on my ceramic rings alive just in case I don't have enough BB in the tank alone. I have a lot of frags that I do not want to lose! :blink:

Yes, I actually decided on the aqua scape that I liked then epoxied all the rock together and directly onto the bottom glass.

Yes, I actually decided on the aqua scape that I liked then epoxied all the rock together and directly onto the bottom glass.

So, did you run your tank w/out a filter from the beginning? My friend is getting ready to set her new 38 G tank up and I was telling her about this whole thread and showed her the pix of your tank, which she thought looked awesome.

Yes, I kept freshwater for a few years so it seemed odd not to use a filter when I moved to salt, but my LFS guy who's been keeping salt since 1977 said learn from my mistakes, don't use a filter. So I went with his recommendations and I've never looked back. He always says there are no experts in this hobby, we are all learning everyday. There are no right and wrong ways, just the way you choose to go. If people want sand and a filter then that's personal choice. All I'm trying to point out is that you don't NEED sand and a filter, just rock, skimmer, flow, lights and stable parameters. Then watch your tank flourish.

Sweet baby Jesus, I removed the canister filter, put the HOB with GAC and phosphate remover on. Now I'm crossing my fingers and praying to my lucky star hoping that I don't get a mini cycle... and checking all parameters, of course :blink:

I have no filter on my 75 gal tank. It's been set up for a year. I do have a skimmer and lots of flow. My nitrates have consistently been in the 20 range but I do a 20% water change every 10 days. Have about a 1/2 inch sand bed. The only fish we've lost was a blenny and a goby and I now believe they didn't have enough to eat.

Back
Top Bottom