Can I stop coraline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know a way to keep coraline from growing on equipment? I constantly scrape it off the tank etc. but it is growing on my ph monitor probe. I am guessing it has to interfere with the performance. Is there anything that can be put on things so it will not adhere and grow?

The less light the better, in my equipment I have put duct tape so that sun light or any light doesnt ecourage algae

Duct tape inside the tank? I wouldn't trust that stuff leaking chemicals into my tank. On a bigger system it's probably not a big deal though.

Kind of funny I always wanted it to grow fast now it is growing to fast. :? I see changes overnight now. I can not keep it off the tank.

In my experience corraline actually likes dimmer conditions. You could try more lighting. I know thats a really expensive option though.

Scottm said:
In my experience corraline actually likes dimmer conditions. You could try more lighting. I know thats a really expensive option though.

but we are talking about Brenden :p

J/K Brenden

I would suggest cleaning it once a month or so, other then that, I have no ideas.

Phosphate is supposed to hinder coralline growth. Of course, then you'll have a new problem... cyano. Choose your poison. :?

I wonder if a thin layer of petroleum jelly would at least make it easier to remove it when it does grow on the equipment.

I just purchased 6 new 250w HQI pendants. How much more lighting do you recommend? :? My power bill is already the most expensive payment I have. By the way I have just as much coralline growing in the most intense light areas as I do in the dimmer ones. I guess I could put the probe down under some rocks with no light.

So what's that power bill like?! I hit 650 this summer. I don't envy you at all!! Unfortunately cleaning and maintenance is the only thing I can think of (and what a PIA that is, lol).

Any chance you want to become a philanthropist for a wonderful, active, yet needy reef club?!

a local guy is using solartubes for his light, as a replacement to his MH, he supplements with a few actinic t5's and his high light demanding acro's have gone crazy! i guess the nice thing about it is, its the right spectrum and there isn't any lighting cost for the whites.

his is something like this... (this is a different setup but along the same lines....) the solar tubes are supposed to be @1,000 watt light and he has 3 in the @900+ gallon beast....

Attachments

• img_1441_3x4__166.jpg
    img_1441_3x4__166.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 101
So what's that power bill like?! I hit 650 this summer.

$650!! I hit $350 this year and about fainted. My last bill was only $204 though so I was happy. Had to persuade the wife to let the air alone for a bit. Do you have a big house?

I figure my tank cost me around $125-$150 in power per month. I live in a normal/med size home. The house I had built before this one was 9600+ sq ft so trust me, I am not complaining about the power bill. :) Phyl: How much do you pay per KwH?

Back
Top Bottom