Can i use compressed air?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elitehunter1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I use compressed air (like air duster cans) to bag fish for transport?

duster cans often contain other things besides air. what would be the purpose of the compressed air

It would be to package like the lfs does, so that it will last a 4 hour trip.

I would just use a really big bag, like 'shopping bag' sized. If you try to close it at the very top and then twist it down a little bit it will have plenty of natural air. Or you could just go get some 5 gallon buckets from home depot.

Hmmm.. Oddly I'd want to know a) how far are you transporting them b) what kind of fish and c) how many .. Before I'd even think of offering any advice..

Go to Walmart buy a thermal fish bucket and a battery power bubble box. This way the water temp will stay the same. If not all the local fish stores by me use a air gun. I don't know if its bad or good.

Do not use the canned air. Bad idea. But blowing the bag up with your breath is as bad. Most shops used compressed air (like from a small aquarium pump with a filter). Oxygen top off is too dangerous. Keeping the temperature stable is also pretty critical. I usually don't order fish in the middle of the summer or the winter. Spring and fall give a shipment the best chance of live arrival. Good luck.

GsxrD said:
Go to Walmart buy a thermal fish bucket and a battery power bubble box. This way the water temp will stay the same. If not all the local fish stores by me use a air gun. I don't know if its bad or good.

+1 just use a small bucket and a battery aerator, it doesn't have to be a 5 gallon. You can find the aerator in all fishing stores or any store that has a fishing department.

Just use an aquarium air pump to fill up the bags. I do this with nearly all of the fish that I ship. Insert airline tubing into the bag and then remove and twist the bag when it has enough air in it.

I also use a medical grade o2 tank from time to time, but over time have pretty much stopped using it completely since I haven't noticed a difference in survival rates for 2-3 day priority shipments.

For those of you talking about CPR, or anything else not related to this thread, your post has been deleted. Any further off topic posting will result in this thread being locked and infractions issued. Please keep things ON TOPIC.

When I moved I brought my fish in a cooler that way the water stayed close to the same and I used a battery powered air pump.

Elitehunter1 said:
It would be to package like the lfs does, so that it will last a 4 hour trip.

4 hours isn't all that long. Most of our fish were packed the day before they got to the wholesaler or LFS. Temperature control and the volume of airspace above the waterline are the keys here. No problem with using an airline if you want, but that's not necessary either. Practice snatching a bag with a little water in it and twisting the top to pressurize the bag. It takes a little practice, but it's not too tough.

When we shipped fish, we used very tall bags, heavy duty, that were 2/3 air. These were good for so many fish for +24 hours. When we lost shipments, it was because they got delayed on the docks for a few extra days, or the weather was extreme and they sat exposed to it for too long. For a short hall, a cheap battery power air stone and cooler, both available at a Bass Pro Shop, should last for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom