Can I use my freshwater test kit for saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabbykat9698

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test kit. I notice there is a saltwater one as well, but they test for the exact same things. Can I use it for my saltwater tank? (it a new 3gal nano reef) I know there are other test kits I must buy for saltwater but as far as nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, I was just curious if I need to buy another one or not.

For API, I know for sure that the ammonia and nitrite test kits are the same for freshwater and saltwater. For ammonia, you have to use a different color chart for saltwater vs. freshwater - but the chemicals are the same. For nitrites, the color chart is the same for both freshwater and saltwater.

For nitrates, I *think* it's the same kit, but different color charts. But it's been a while since I used that brand for nitrates.

I agree the chemicals are the same but the salt will vary the colours in the chart so you need salt cards to use it,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom