Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

can i use this garlic?

guys i am HAVING trouble findn plain garlic juice. how everi have one that has the following
garlic 63% water, canola oil, modifed starch, vinegar, salt, food acid, vegetable gum.
some of it i know is fine but very ify about some
thanks inadvnced.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1
Here is a link to some garlic extreme. I would steer clear of the one you listed with all of those otehr ingredients. Go for the most concentrated form you can get so you wll use less and decrease the chance of fouling your tank water.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks a million lando.
I think i am comming to do a trip to the US, here is Aus its impossible to get any of this i have to do international shippings for so many things
australia dosnt have VHO, they dont have no-ich marine and no decent garlic in liq form. and they wanna charge $130 + for a cleaner shrimp
I hate Australia for marine products.
But I have to say the fish varties are great.
just had to vent, sorry.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I think I may have seen some one that makes their own. Correct me if I am wrong, but it might be Hara, and if it is not, please forgive me, I saw that post quite a while ago...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

i tried this, but all i got was a tiny bit of juce and garlic that was minced but not well and i was left with a stinky house.
my partner was not impressed.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can use pure garlic powder if you are making your own food. Do not use it straight in the tank. Works fine for me because I chop up clams, shrimp, dried foods, and add vitamin c, and garlic powder then I freeze it, chop it up and feed the fish little cubes. They love the stuff.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok that might be the way to go.
I am making my own food, but i also use pre frozen stuff like brine shrimp they all love it even my blue tang goes nuts for it.
so what if i defrost it and then break it up sprinkle some power over it and then frezze again would this be fessiable?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
I chop up garlic then squeeze the juice out. I soak pellets and brine shrimps in this juice for an hour before feeding. I don't know the con's of doing this but my LFS suggested me doing this so i wouldn't have to waste money on garlic products. Garlic extreme is 99% garlic extract btw.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Garlic???

Hmmm As a Chef I love to use garlic but i havent heard of kicking up my fish food a notch!... Is this something new??

Anyways I would suggest going to your kitchen gadget store and getting a garlic press..this should help extract some juice and it should make any pulp small enough to be edible by fish..( Do fish fart???....If so I feel for the tank mates!!...)

You should also be able to find a fine mesh screen or aka. china cap that you can press crushed (use flat of blade on a chefs knife and smush) then press through screen...

These probably wont give you straight juice (youd need ALOT of garlic to extract just oils of any sizeable amount) but they will mince it small enough for fish an verts (if wanted??) to eat...
I would also be leary of powders as they can be who knows what kind of dust flavored with imitation garlic flavors.... Chefs dont cook with the stuff in good restaurants (an even some dumpy ones) so I don't know what that says...

If I come across garlic extract from a pervayor or a culinary site I will post it later on.....

Mike
Old 05-31-2006, 09:50 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
i havent heard of kicking up my fish food a notch!... Is this something new??
Not new, as far as I know. It helps some finiky eaters. I believe it causes a feeding instinct. Plus it helps their immune systems.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garlic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com