Can I use vinyl gloves to move live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finnster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I use Non-powdered vinyl gloves to move live rock from quarantine tank to main tank? My aquarium gloves have not arrived yet (ordered from Drs Foster and Smith). Also can I use CoralDip on the LR?

Thanks again,
Finnster :fish2:

I don't see why non powder gloves should cause any issue besides bringing in oils that would cause a skimmer to go nuts...but you can do that with your hands too. If you have fear that they might cause a problem, then just avoid it by not doing it.
Personally, I don't see much reason to use gloves aside from fear of bristle worms. I've touched corals and anemones for days without any issues.

Okay, but I just don't want to risk it you know.

Powder free vinyl and latex gloves are 100% fine I use them myself in a reef tank containing SPS,LPS and soft corals with no issues at all :)

My local pond store sells arm length nitrile gloves, designed specifically for use in deep water..or tanks. Brand name is Atlas (the same company that makes the rubber palmed work gloves you can find in just about any hardware store, feed store, etc.)

I am a newbie here on this forum, so please forgive me for giving advice. . I'm a biologist and must say that the bacteria in tanks isn't very good for you. There's stuff in the water than can cause infections that are hard to clear up. If have an open sore on your hands and stick them into salt water, nasty things like Pseudomonas or Staphyloccus can cause a severe infection that can, in the case of someone with a depressed immune system, kill you-or at least cause you to lose an arm. This is especially true of salt water tanks. I am a cancer survivor. In the process of treatment, I lost a lot of the lymph nodes in my arms. Lymph nodes are like nets..they catch the little nasties that we always come in contact with no matter what we are doing; gardening, petting animals, even opening doors in public places. If you don't have them, any bacteria that gets into you via a break in your skin can serve as an entry point and once it's in your system, you're in trouble. Remember, our blood is virtually the same chemistry as warm salt water. Bacteria have no problems with it.
While i was recovering from my cancer surgery, my oncologist asked me what my hobbies were. I said "salt water aquariums, riding horses, and digging in my gardens." he said, "No, no, and no."
Well, I'm not going to give up the things that I enjoy, so I've worn gloves ever since, and..knock wood...haven't had any infections.
But just be aware. I won't stick my bare hands in any tank, be it fresh or salt.

Ordered some arm length "Aqua Gloves" on Drs Foster and Smith. Should be here tomorrow!

My local pond store sells arm length nitrile gloves, designed specifically for use in deep water..or tanks. Brand name is Atlas (the same company that makes the rubber palmed work gloves you can find in just about any hardware store, feed store, etc.)

I am a newbie here on this forum, so please forgive me for giving advice. . I'm a biologist and must say that the bacteria in tanks isn't very good for you. There's stuff in the water than can cause infections that are hard to clear up. If have an open sore on your hands and stick them into salt water, nasty things like Pseudomonas or Staphyloccus can cause a severe infection that can, in the case of someone with a depressed immune system, kill you-or at least cause you to lose an arm. This is especially true of salt water tanks. I am a cancer survivor. In the process of treatment, I lost a lot of the lymph nodes in my arms. Lymph nodes are like nets..they catch the little nasties that we always come in contact with no matter what we are doing; gardening, petting animals, even opening doors in public places. If you don't have them, any bacteria that gets into you via a break in your skin can serve as an entry point and once it's in your system, you're in trouble. Remember, our blood is virtually the same chemistry as warm salt water. Bacteria have no problems with it.
While i was recovering from my cancer surgery, my oncologist asked me what my hobbies were. I said "salt water aquariums, riding horses, and digging in my gardens." he said, "No, no, and no."
Well, I'm not going to give up the things that I enjoy, so I've worn gloves ever since, and..knock wood...haven't had any infections.
But just be aware. I won't stick my bare hands in any tank, be it fresh or salt.

I guess I've been lucky. when I think of all the millions of times of doing stuff in tanks, getting bit, stung, cut by critters and glass, coral, rocks, etc.
I have no idea how many gallons of water I've swallowed or splashed in my eyes....

:huh:

Back
Top Bottom