Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can ich fight off ich on their own?

Sorry to start yet another thread about ich, but I'd like to clarify.

It seems it is possible for a healthy fish to fight off ich on their own, but that means the ich will still be in the water column?

If the ich from my fish dies off and I add new fish, they'll get ich?

Just trying to understand the whole life cycle and all. Thanks.

Edit: I realize the mistake in the title is laughable. Let's all take a moment to laugh it out

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once you have Ich in the tank it stays (unless treated). Yes healthy fish "fight" ich they dont really fight it off they survive the attacks. Any new fish can and most likely will get ich due to stress.
I keep a lot of filter feeding corals in my tank and have had only one outbreak of Ich my feeling is the filter feeders are ridding the tank of any Ich that may have found it's way in.

This explains the life cycle of ich.Saltwater Ich (Cryptocaryon) Life Cycle - The Life Cucle of Saltwater Ich (Cryptocaryon)

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

This should help.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree with Grizz...there is probably a very remote chance that new additions won't get it, but IMO, it is best to clear up the problem and try to prevent future occurrences by QTing new additions.. It is no fun having your tank almost fully stocked and then getting an outbreak that starts killing fish. There is other stuff out there that is worse than Ich.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't want to hijack the thread but this discussion sparked a question. I have 4 fish that I will be transferring to my new reef soon. I didn't treat them or qt them but I haven't seen any signs of ich and have had them all for at least 3 months. I am going to qt all new additions to avoid issues in a larger tank. Should I worry about these 4 having any parasites or should I be good to transfer them to the new tank without any worries?
Old 08-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

When ich is present in your tank they will attach to the weak fish and reproduce. If they are not able to reproduce they will slowly perish. If all your fish are healthy, ich are not able to reproduce and so they die. Most of the time new fish are attacked due to weak or stressed and more often tang are susceptible. You can treat with garlic xtreme in DT to increase fish immunity and if ich can't find a hosting fish they will be gone in 6 weeks.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ich can be present with fish not showing outward signs though, so I would not automatically assume that 6 weeks without signs means that it is not in the tank. If a fish had signs and recovers, there is Ich in the tank and with fish being in there, it has a host.

To answer the question of whether to worry...I think that if you've had them for over three months and nothing has shown up, you are probably going to be okay. It is never 100% unless you start with an Ich-free tank, quarantine and treat every fish and make sure you do not cross contaminate the tanks. Some people run their QT as Hyposalinity, but that does not get everything, so you just can never be absolutely certain that nothing gets introduced.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
To answer the question of whether to worry...I think that if you've had them for over three months and nothing has shown up, you are probably going to be okay. It is never 100% unless you start with an Ich-free tank, quarantine and treat every fish and make sure you do not cross contaminate the tanks. Some people run their QT as Hyposalinity, but that does not get everything, so you just can never be absolutely certain that nothing gets introduced.
Thanks, I won't worry then because I don't plan on treating all new additions just hypo in a qt for a few weeks.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If none of fish has sign of ich it means none is hosting it. If this is maintained in 6 weeks then the ich are doomed.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericwm View Post
Thanks, I won't worry then because I don't plan on treating all new additions just hypo in a qt for a few weeks.
Other parasites like marine velvet will survive the hypo salinty.

Tags
fight, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com