Can ich fight off ich on their own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry to start yet another thread about ich, but I'd like to clarify.

It seems it is possible for a healthy fish to fight off ich on their own, but that means the ich will still be in the water column?

If the ich from my fish dies off and I add new fish, they'll get ich?

Just trying to understand the whole life cycle and all. Thanks.

Edit: I realize the mistake in the title is laughable. Let's all take a moment to laugh it out :lol:

Once you have Ich in the tank it stays (unless treated). Yes healthy fish "fight" ich they dont really fight it off they survive the attacks. Any new fish can and most likely will get ich due to stress.
I keep a lot of filter feeding corals in my tank and have had only one outbreak of Ich my feeling is the filter feeders are ridding the tank of any Ich that may have found it's way in.

This explains the life cycle of ich.Saltwater Ich (Cryptocaryon) Life Cycle - The Life Cucle of Saltwater Ich (Cryptocaryon)

Agree with Grizz...there is probably a very remote chance that new additions won't get it, but IMO, it is best to clear up the problem and try to prevent future occurrences by QTing new additions.. It is no fun having your tank almost fully stocked and then getting an outbreak that starts killing fish. There is other stuff out there that is worse than Ich.

I don't want to hijack the thread but this discussion sparked a question. I have 4 fish that I will be transferring to my new reef soon. I didn't treat them or qt them but I haven't seen any signs of ich and have had them all for at least 3 months. I am going to qt all new additions to avoid issues in a larger tank. Should I worry about these 4 having any parasites or should I be good to transfer them to the new tank without any worries?

When ich is present in your tank they will attach to the weak fish and reproduce. If they are not able to reproduce they will slowly perish. If all your fish are healthy, ich are not able to reproduce and so they die. Most of the time new fish are attacked due to weak or stressed and more often tang are susceptible. You can treat with garlic xtreme in DT to increase fish immunity and if ich can't find a hosting fish they will be gone in 6 weeks.

Ich can be present with fish not showing outward signs though, so I would not automatically assume that 6 weeks without signs means that it is not in the tank. If a fish had signs and recovers, there is Ich in the tank and with fish being in there, it has a host.

To answer the question of whether to worry...I think that if you've had them for over three months and nothing has shown up, you are probably going to be okay. It is never 100% unless you start with an Ich-free tank, quarantine and treat every fish and make sure you do not cross contaminate the tanks. Some people run their QT as Hyposalinity, but that does not get everything, so you just can never be absolutely certain that nothing gets introduced.

To answer the question of whether to worry...I think that if you've had them for over three months and nothing has shown up, you are probably going to be okay. It is never 100% unless you start with an Ich-free tank, quarantine and treat every fish and make sure you do not cross contaminate the tanks. Some people run their QT as Hyposalinity, but that does not get everything, so you just can never be absolutely certain that nothing gets introduced.

Thanks, I won't worry then because I don't plan on treating all new additions just hypo in a qt for a few weeks.

Thanks for the great info/links. Looks like I'll have to QT the 2 fish & do a hyposalinity treatment. Meanwhile if the DT is fishless for 6 weeks (life cycle time) it's safe to introduce new fish?

Since we are talking about it... When I went to LFS today I noticed a few fish with ich. What is the risk of ALL of their fish being carriers? I bought 3 that looked healthy, but don't what to do w them now. Don't have a QT setup but I guess I could make one.

... Garlic Xtreme. It works like an ich repelant. ...

LOL! Who told you this? It is no such thing. All it does is act as an appetite stimulant and possibly aids in boosting the immune system. In no way does it effect the parasite directly.

The new guys are not in the display. Just got home so still in bags. I'd need to run to town for a filter of some sort to set up a QT. I already have an empty tank, heater and hood. What else would I need?

The new guys are not in the display. Just got home so still in bags. I'd need to run to town for a filter of some sort to set up a QT. I already have an empty tank, heater and hood. What else would I need?

If you want to be extra cautious go ahead, but the 14 fish I've had before this copperband, have all been ich free (from different stores).

LOL! Who told you this? It is no such thing. All it does is act as an appetite stimulant and possibly aids in boosting the immune system. In no way does it effect the parasite directly.
You just answered your own question by your statement "boosting the immune system" which means repelling the parasites.

Back
Top Bottom