can mantis shrimp break glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here you go Gti_leo, this will give you the info you don't know

Sheila Patek clocks the fastest animals | Video on TED.com

Only a few species can break glass, which rarely happens. O. scyllarus, O. japonicus and G. chiragra are a few that have the power as adults to crack your aquarium. Most of the time they don't put their full force into it, more like test taps to see what it is. I have owned O. havanensis, which is a very weak smasher, O. scyllarus(peacock mantis) and currently a small male O. japonicus. Here's another link from one of the experts on stomatopods.

Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium

Too many people think these animals are evil little creatures. They are awesome to keep, and if you have some time and a dedicated tank I recommend keeping one. You won't regret it. (y)

None of us think they are evil, we probably would all love to keep one, however the discussion was if they "could" break glass. Not "do they" break glass. I've never seen one actually break a tank or really attack a tank so I doubt in keeping one it wouldn't be an issue, but if one really wanted to.."Could" it? Seems the answer is species dependant, but yes discussion done.

Nomadu571 said:
None of us think they are evil, we probably would all love to keep one, however the discussion was if they "could" break glass. Not "do they" break glass. I've never seen one actually break a tank or really attack a tank so I doubt in keeping one it wouldn't be an issue, but if one really wanted to.."Could" it? Seems the answer is species dependant, but yes discussion done.

It has been documented that larger smashers can break thin glass. It they can bust a clam open, they can take out the bottom of a small tank.
They are absolutely fabulous animals. Coral Magazine did a great study on them last year.

I pulled a peacock mantis out of my tank last week that had hitch hiked in on some rock I had bought online Now my other shrimp are out all the time and not hiding in the upper reaches of the tank. I thought something was up and had heard the clicking. He was in a rock he had burrowed the whole center out of. I managed to see him one night when I got up to get a water mid night and caught him sneaking out of the hole. Took the whole rock out flushed it with water from the tap and he came out. I took him to the Lfs and they took him off my hands

My answer wasn't directed to the op, but to someone who didn't believe the power of the mantis shrimps strike. To answer the op, no. A mantis won't crack the glass hunting, they crack it when they dig their burrows and reach the bottom of the tank. They think it's just rock so they start smacking it to break it up, which is why some people put down a sheet of acrylic or egg crate on the bottom so they don't reach the glass. Now if you were teasing a mantis and they felt threatened then they might crack the side of your tank, but like I said, it rarely happens.

I believe it depends if it is a smasher or a spearer when it comes down to if it can break glass. I have actually seen one beg and eat out of it's owners hand. It was watching in the room and when the owner came into view it knew to come out and beg. They are fascinating that is for sure. Would I take one yes if someone was going to kill it.

I saw one of the zebra one on youtube.
If i was gonna go saltwater id definately make a mantis tank

Back
Top Bottom