Can my anemone be saved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clownfish25

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is a picture of what he looks like now. He was in the tank for a week hiding and when we found h he was flat and our maroon clown was hosting since day one. I just don't want to pollute the tank. Can he recover or is he done for?

Pics are from when I found him and flipped the rock over to now where it looks like his mouth is coming out

Attachments

• image-3443772087.jpg
    image-3443772087.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 148
  • image-2212138620.jpg
    image-2212138620.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 157
  • image-3185998535.jpg
    image-3185998535.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 173
  • image-551090248.jpg
    image-551090248.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 172
check your perameters, have you noticed a change in the flow around it? added anythign to the tank that you didn't have when it was healthy IE fish or inverts or any sort of chemical.

it just looks like its tuckign in tight it might be from stress, how long have you had it for? did your maroon clown just randomly stop hosting it and then it shrunk, if so it might not be getting food as the clowns usually bring it to them and feed the anemone they host, i know mine rose bubble tipped lets me know when it needs feeding, it'll shrink up a bit and keep its bulbs close together, i feed it with a syringe and mysis and then the next day its back open to its 5" self flowing in the current

Last edited:
check your perameters, have you noticed a change in the flow around it? added anythign to the tank that you didn't have when it was healthy IE fish or inverts or any sort of chemical.

it just looks like its tuckign in tight it might be from stress, how long have you had it for? did your maroon clown just randomly stop hosting it and then it shrunk, if so it might not be getting food as the clowns usually bring it to them and feed the anemone they host, i know mine rose bubble tipped lets me know when it needs feeding, it'll shrink up a bit and keep its bulbs close together, i feed it with a syringe and mysis and then the next day its back open to its 5" self flowing in the current

Well I did add a power head days ago to provide more flow and that's when I saw him moving up under the rock I flipped over. He was deflated. It seams as though he was stressed because he was starting to detach from the rock today so I moved I'm into his own container away from any inverts and the maroon clown. Nothing can get to him.

I think that the clown hosting in him since day one didn't give him time to adjust. So he is stressed. I have never had one before so I don't know how bad looking they can really look when they shrink up.

Anemone is a good indicator of your water parameter. Just make sure you don't make any drastic changes with your temp, PH, salinity and waterflow and it will recover. They like moderate flow with high intensity light.

So my anemone is still kicking it seems. It's been another week or so and this is what it looks like. Anyone ever experience this and do u think he is reviving himself??

Attachments

• image-959077719.jpg
    image-959077719.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 161
  • image-1389313408.jpg
    image-1389313408.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 133
So my anemone is still kicking it seems. It's been another week or so and this is what it looks like. Anyone ever experience this and do u think he is reviving himself??

Does your anemone look like that during day and night? Because i know my nem looks smaller when lights go out and it inflates like 10x when lights are on.

I answered in your other post. I highly doubt the anemone in that picture is going to accept food. I know people that have had anemones for years and never fed them. They are photosynthetic and though they can benefit from meaty foods, they won't die without a meal.

All I know is when my anemone opens it's mouth it is hungry. After feeding, it starts to inflate and looks healthy. If light is insufficient and you don't feed it will cerntainly die.

Anemones don't open their mouths when they are hungry. They don't know when they are hungry. They don't have brains.

I'm not sure if they really open their mouths. But you could be right, Jeff. All i know is that my nem is fine without being fed.

Can you explain what is the purpose of their mouth and why they take food and sometimes eat your fish?
Yes. It's a response much like your skin changing color when you are out in the sun, or when you touch the back of your tongue when you are brushing and you gag. You don't think about these things, but they happen.
Even if an anemone had a brain, and it knew when it was hungry, opening it's mouth would not be the ideal reaction. I would think stretching the stinging tentacles out to heighten the chances of it catching food would be.
Opening it's mouth would be like a human opening it's mouth when it's hungry----try it right now.....do you feel fuller?

The purpose of the mouth would be to ingest food.

Just for the benefit of those who needs more info about anemone, you may read this article specially the topic about Feeding.

A Beginner's Guide to Keeping Anemones - Anemones

Taken from this article-
"If an anemone shrinks, then it is not receiving enough food (and or light)."

This is not the only reason an anemone can shrivel up, and is not entirely accurate. Parameters are a much more common reason than food. Not to mention that I have seen quite a few that never feed their anemones and they do very well.
Also, low light would initially make an anemone stretch out even more to try to increase surface area to absorb as much light as possible, not make itself smaller.

Taken from this article-
"If an anemone shrinks, then it is not receiving enough food (and or light)."

This is not the only reason an anemone can shrivel up, and is not entirely accurate. Parameters are a much more common reason than food. Not to mention that I have seen quite a few that never feed their anemones and they do very well.
Also, low light would initially make an anemone stretch out even more to try to increase surface area to absorb as much light as possible, not make itself smaller.

Ok so it's more than likely my tank parameters I have been testing and the results seem fine. I have been using kalk in my ato but not a lot. I started over the course of 4 weeks.i used 2 tsp then 3 tsp and then 4tsp, I have a 4g ato bucket. 4 tsp in a 4 gallon bucket shouldn't be an over saturated solution. I've learned 2 tsp per gallon is a saturated solution via mr saltwater tank. Anyways should I stop using the kalk and stop altogether or should I ramp down the dosage. My hard corals are doing fine and my red montipora are growing fast since my addition of kalk. It's the anemone and colt coral that seem to not be liking things. I have my gfo reactor off as well.

Back
Top Bottom