Can PH have an affect on algae growth??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a pretty descent algae problem and I have no nitrates or phosphates. My PH is very low though at 7.0. My question is will have a low PH affect how fast algae grows? Also I bought some Seachem reef buffer to raise my PH, will this work?

TIA,
Josh

Yes, actually a low pH can sometimes lead to pest algae problems.

Why is you pH so low to begin with? Its almost hard to believe it is that low. What test kit are you using to measure it? How often are you doing water changes?

For a pH to be at 7.0, something really bad must have happened...

do you have glass top

Glass top was may problem i had sealed up my tank so tight for my goby that I trapped co2 testing ph in water that was allowed to sit open showed very different. Try it now leaving lids cracked untill getting eggcrate.

Joshsmit56001 said:
I don't have a glass top, I built a canopy over it for my PCs with a fan blowing air in
If your hood has a panel that opens (and no jumpers), try leaving it ajar and then test the ph in the late afternoon the next day. It could still be an airflow problem. Heated air can be just as much a problem. Fans will work better if pulling the hot air out. That way fresh air will flow into the tank rather than heated air being forced down.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom