Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Can regular Lowes silicone go in a tank?

Looking at making feet for my Mag7 pumps to maybe help with the vibration/noise (if that could be a problem). The Mag 12 comes with a rubber mat. The 7's don't. I was thinking about using the water tight silicone for the feet in my acrylic sump for the pump. I can, right? Or is there some special aquarium grade silicone that I need to use?

I guess it'd also be wise to ask if I shouldn't be worried about the Mag7s having rubber bottoms anyway.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

as long as it is 100% silicon

Old 04-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only use stuff that says safe for aquariums on it...

I hae heard of people using a mouse pad cut down on those... Thats what the mag 12 pas looks like..
On my Mag 7 I was lucky to have some suction cups laying around that fit into the holes on the bottom....
If you use the silicon post a pic......

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If you look at the tubes it will usually state if its "Not for aquarium use". If its the clear sylicon that has no fungicide or anything you should be ok.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Cool. I'm doing my install work as we speak. The mag 12 pad had enuf left for one of my 7's (skimmer). Not sure I'm gonna do the other 7 (UV) with feet since I'm not runig that 24/7 anyway.

While we're on the silicone subject, ya think it'd help keep suction cups on the side of glass. Got an ATO and the cups needs to work for a sensor. Thinking I'd put the cup on the side glass with silicone. Think it'll work?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Guys Silicone is silacone. All you have to do is read the lable on the silacone that is safe for aquariums. If it says 100% sillacone then any other product that is 100% silacone will work.

Same thing as a generic drug and a top name drug. As long as the ingrediants are the same you are fine. Point bing that the stuff for aquariums is typically a good amount more expensive than the stuff that is for everyday use. THey are tryign to sell you on the marketing. DOn't let them trick you.

One other thing I would look for is this- some silicon is meant for sealing, some for adhesive, some for other htings. Make sure you use the proper one. Soem don't have godo properties for holdign material together.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Two pics of the "foot application". One of my mess. It'll look better tonight. Or worse. 8)

Tags
silicone, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com