Can somebody tell me about these fish please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dekz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going to start stocking my 55 gallon FOWLR tank in a week or two, so I've been checking out what all the pet stores have.

Things I already know about/definitely want:
Firefish
Clownfish
Bangai Cardinal
Royal Gramma

Things I've seen at the store but I don't know much about as far as tank size/aggression issues:
Flame Angel
Koran Angel
Coral Angel
Green Chromis
Bi-Color Blenny
Cleaner Wrasse
Foxface
Dragon Wrasse
Sand-sifting goby

Now I know that obviously I can't get anywhere near all of these fish. Are there any that get too big for a 55? Any incompatibilities with the other fish I've listed?

Flame angel as well as a bi-color angel are great picks for that size since the are dwarf angels and will not get too big and are great for FOWLR but only get one or the other because they will not get along in a tank that size. The Koran angel will get much to big for that tank and is not all that pretty when it grows up anyways. Your "definitely" section of fish seems good are you going with a pair of clowns and a pair of fire fish? Chromis are a waste of space IMO:). Most would say a foxfish would need a bigger tank, and the royal gramma and the bi-color blenny would most likely not get along. The dragon wrasse needs a bigger tank and as for the sand-sifting goby I'm not to sure lol and the cleaner wrasse could go but are sometimes hard to get to eat.

I like the chromis, they look good under a good light and are very active. The cardinals just float in the same spot (very boring) although that cardinal is neat looking

The problem is that I live in a relatively small city and the selection at the pet stores isn't awesome. You just have to hope that they have e fish that you are looking for on the day that you go to the store.

So I'm thinking:
Firefish
Bangai Cardinal
Clownfish
Royal Gramma
Flame Angel
Yellow Tang
Some kind of small Blenny

How does that sound. Too much?

Scratch the yellow tang and your list is right on. A 55 just doesn't have enough swimming room to really keep tangs happy. I know some people keep them in 55's anyway, and they'll survive, but they will never really flourish and will often die of stress related diseases.

get a lawnmower blenny they are awsome and have a funny disposition

xsmoker_3 said:
get a lawnmower blenny they are awsome and have a funny disposition

Mine is great, I will have my hand in the tank and he stalks me like a cat. He will rush out and bite my hand and dart back into a cave. He will shift side to side then pounce.

Krypt said:
Scratch the yellow tang and your list is right on. A 55 just doesn't have enough swimming room to really keep tangs happy. I know some people keep them in 55's anyway, and they'll survive, but they will never really flourish and will often die of stress related diseases.

Ya I often see 55 listed as the minimum tank size for a yellow tang. Hmmm, we'll have to see if something else catches my eye.

Maybe 3-4 Chromis instead?

cmor1701d said:
List looks good. Just don't add them all at once ;)

Do you have a QT tank set up and cycled for your new fish?

Best to start the tank on the safe path than come back asking about Ich cures and other ailments in a couple of months.

Yes I have a cycled 10 gallon that will be my quarantine tank. I just put some crabs and snails in it yesterday.

I should be done filling the 55 tonight (RO water takes a while), then I'll toss a raw shrimp in there to cycle it. Then once it's cycled, I'll buy a fish for the 55 and another for the 10. From then on all new fish will go through the QT. How long should I QT fish before moving them to the display tank?

Back
Top Bottom