Can someone give me the exact name of this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J670

Aquarium Advice Regular
I forgot the name of this little guy when I first got it... Any ideas of what it is?

Attachments

• image-379369464.jpg
    image-379369464.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 147
exact scientific name, no.
It looks like a Hammer Coral though, why not call him Bob :p

It is a Euphyllia of some type.

Do not put it in strong flow or it will develop long, powerful sweeper tentacles.

Bob is not a hammer I know that... Euphyllia it is... Just found it online, well a pic. Thanks guys

there are a few popular coral in the Euphyllia family: Hammer, Torch, Frogspawn. I have all 3 of them in my tank actually, those ends still remind me of a hammer. Let me know if you narrow down exactly what type of coral Bob is.

The lfs that sold it said I should put it in direct current flow... [moderator edit] need to find a new spot for it then. I could see the tentacles growing too... thought it was just growing fast in my awesome tank. Lol. Jk

Last edited by a moderator:
Direct flow is good, but if its really strong they'll develop sweepers. Just make sure its not too strong, and possibly make it so the powerhead just glances along the top of it so it still moves with the flow but isn't being thrashed by it :p

If it is by itself sweepers won't really matter, but if its in the vicinity of other corals and is in strong laminar flow it could mean problems.

I have a different color torch and they seem to have rounder tips than yours.

One more question... Bought a green goni a while back but it's tentacles didn't come out that far when I got it. Now it's huge and the tentacles come out a couple of inches. Is this normal? Anyone else has some goni?

Oh also the tentacles of a goni should be extended. Just means that it's healthy. Goniopora have long stalks, part of what distinguishes them from some other corals.

Thanks for the info. I heard these were hard and wanted the challenge.

From my experience my Hammer tripled size in a year. The frogspawn doubled, and not much difference in size with the torch.

Nice. I think one of the heads is starting to split. I just started a 28 nano a couple of months ago when I got back to the states.

It is a Euphyllia of some type.

Do not put it in strong flow or it will develop long, powerful sweeper tentacles.

Sweepers are a corals form of defense, it has absolutely nothing to do with flow. When these corals (Euphyllia and most LPS) sense other corals in the tank it will send out these sweepers trying to kill them.

And for the OP the reason Goniporas are challenging is not that they are hard to keep, just that wild caught specimens just don't do well in the home aquarium for whatever reason

One pic is when I first got it and the second was recent. It looks more brown cause the tentacles are fully extended

Attachments

• image-3055641740.jpg
    image-3055641740.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1504906088.jpg
    image-1504906088.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 96
If we are talking about Flower Pot or Ball coral, this sounds weird but, Goniporia gets sick easily, so keep the coral clean at the base of the tenticals. Any detritus can cause bacterial or fungal infections to start and that is what kills most of these corals. They are also real sensitive if any of your fish are nippers. Most folks think they are difficult because they feed at night, but most die of Brown Jelly disease or a fungal infection.

Thanks for the info. I guess just as long as there is good tank flow and it's constantly in motion it will keep stuff off of it. I do often vacuum the sand around it.

Back
Top Bottom