Can someone ID these things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I bought my first 2 pieces of coral for my 125 this weekend. I bought coralRX and followed instructions. Now the coralRX did get everything off the coral, but didnt kill anything. I found a bristleworm, some kind of star, a few white bugs, and a big brown one. Nothing was dead, but they did fall off.

Anyway, my question is when I looked at the mushroom rock I bought, I found these little guys on one side of it and I'm not sure what it is. Initially I thought it was aptasia, but the extensions have these little extensions coming off of them. Below is a picture, can anyone ID them?

Attachments

• image-1349369751.jpg
    image-1349369751.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 184
I was thinking that, but I've never seen a feather duster like that, and I don't see the tube the worm would be in

I have some that just pop out of rock work with no visible tube. Burrowing?

It's most certainly Xenia. And no, they shouldn't be an issue. Xenia can actually be quite pretty if you let it grow out, IMO. However, some people don't like them, and cut them off. They're very persistent corals, and can grow anywhere.

I have big clumps of pulsing Xenia in my floating frag box, and my lfs will usually buy them.

Keep or kill, the choice is yours. If you really don't like it, the best way to get rid of them is to clamp some forceps on them and pull.

Cool! Ill leave it alone. My 125 looks empty with just 2 pieces in there right now lol. Thanks for the info!

You're very welcome :)

You have a 125?? Wow, awesome! I'm a bit jealous now :p

Oh, and here's a pic of my clownfish, who hosts a rather large patch of Xenia:

Attachments

• image-112532272.jpg
    image-112532272.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 129
You're very welcome :)

You have a 125?? Wow, awesome! I'm a bit jealous now :p

Oh, and here's a pic of my clownfish, who hosts a rather large patch of Xenia:

They are Xenia but don't get as big as yours, they look similar but won't fill as much area ( get bunched up).

Back
Top Bottom