Can someone tell me what this is please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YzfGraeme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think this is a jelly but I'm not sure I have two on my live rocks just want to make sure they are safe....

Attachments

• image-3282723013.jpg
    image-3282723013.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 197
Thats what it looks like. They need alot different waterparameters than a reef tank.

What paras do they need, are they going to cause me problems? They seem to be doing well at the moment... Is this good or bad?

So you didnt know they were there before? You didnt put them there? Im confused. I believe they need cooler temps, or maybe i just heard they can withstand cooler temps. I would google it. Or maybe someone with experience with that will chime in.

Oh wow..... It actually does. You have to look at it really close. I didnt see those tentacles before. +1. Aiptasia. Kill it.

Seems like aptasia, though I did have a tiny jelly for a few months in one of my tanks a long time ago. He swam around quite a bit before the overflow or something got him. Started out the size of a pen head and got about dime sized.

So are aiptasias' bad in my tank? I have 2, if they are how do I kill them?

rupp3322 said:
So you didnt know they were there before? You didnt put them there? Im confused. I believe they need cooler temps, or maybe i just heard they can withstand cooler temps. I would google it. Or maybe someone with experience with that will chime in.

The tank is about 4weeks old the rock I have had in there about 2 weeks and I have just noticed them on the rock when I was looking at my clown and blue tang last night

I have looked at pictures on the Internet and can't see an aiptasia that looks the same. Mine have a mouth in the middle and tentacles Around it

Def aptasia. Peppermint shrimp will eat that. They are hard to kill and take over quickly so be warned!

They can sting corals and fish. All aiptasia have a mouth with tentacles. Pep shrimp will eat them SOMETIMES, your better of boiling lemon juice and squiring the hot juice into its mouth.

YzfGraeme said:
I have looked at pictures on the Internet and can't see an aiptasia that looks the same. Mine have a mouth in the middle and tentacles Around it

Its an aiptasia, and they have many different looks. This one appears clear, probably because it has had much lighting past month or so. A jelly will not sit on the same place attached to a rock like an aiptasia. To prove its an aiptasia simply touch it with something and it will close and suck into its hole.

+1 to aiptasia. You'll want to kill it before it spreads, but DON'T rip it out, cut it, or damage it in any way. If you cause physical damage, loose cells will spread and grow into new aiptasia all over. Good methods for removal are getting a syringe and injecting concentrated lemon juice, injecting kalk paste, taking the rock out and squirting the aiptasia with boiling water, or a commercial solution like aiptasia-x.

--Adeeb

+1 to lemon juice and syringe. Take the rock out inject it with lemon juice it will turn white and then remove it rinse your rock off in some tank water in a bucket make sure it's dead before removing you will know!

I tryed an anti aiptasia syringe thing and that failed miserably, do you realise how hard they are to get it in the mouth!
So as I don't have any corals yet I decided to take the infected piece of rock out and squirt them with boiling water which has seamed to do the trick will see if I get anymore

If you mix some calk with water to make a paste you can easily drop some right above it with a pipette. They take it into their mouth themselves.. turn white.. shiver, then melt into ooze. Very satisfying.

CorallineAlgae said:
If you mix some calk with water to make a paste you can easily drop some right above it with a pipette. They take it into their mouth themselves.. turn white.. shiver, then melt into ooze. Very satisfying.

Yes! This is the same way you use Aiptasia-X getting it in there mouth is not as hard as some make it out to be. Pretty easy once you know how. TURN OFF FLOW

Back
Top Bottom