Can we have these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrkalot

Aquarium Advice Activist
(check my profile for the tank stats)

We are wondering if we can have cleaner shrimp, snails etc. with our set up or do they need lr and/or ls? If NOT then are there any criiters/clean up crew or others that would be suitable? We want some criiters for looks and clean up.

LR and LS are at least 6-8 months away for us btw

TIA

I don't see why you couldn't have snails and stuff...Most are detrivours and algae eaters..

reefrunner69 said:
You can have them, just make sure to start slow with the snails or you might add more than you can support.

Whether or not our system would support them should have been the real question I guess. Having CC, no LR and no noticable algea was the concern. As long as they eat left overs from feeding the fish we'll be ok or do we need to some how give them an ample supply of natural algea?

Time for some reading ;)

The shrimp will scavenge, the snails (the types we recommend for aquariums) will mostly feed on micro algae. If you have no noticable algae growth, I would skip the snails.

I'm sorry, one more quick question. Our Nitrates are holding steady at 20. Do these little fellas need it to be at zero?

I would invest in at least a little bit of live rock. Will add a little more biological filtration to the tank. JMO

We will be moving in 6-8 months and will convert to ls and lr then. It's not really a money issue, more of a timing issue.

Back
Top Bottom