Can you have an invert Tank only ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
What I mainly find interesting about a s/w tank is the live rock and inverts lol. :oops: . I was woundering If it was possible to have a s/w invert tank only!
If so what would I need ? or would it just be the same as a normal tank just without the fish. Are inverts easy to keep ?
Also what could I have in a 10 gal ..... please suggest stuff as I dont know much bout inverts.

The tank is 24x12x12 inches (10 gals) I would have about 10 pounds of rock (mainly base rock wich I want to become living rock!) and a internal box filter (extra filter (with carbon) / water movement) and about 20 pounds of live sand.

Carbon will end up removing the trace elements the inverts will require. Best to only run carbon for short periods of time once per month or no carbon what so ever. An invert only tank is not a crazy idea but note most inverts are filter feeders and you will need to most likly use food like phytoplankton to feed the tank as there wont be much free floating food in the water with the absance of other reef creatures like fish.

Where you thinking a coral only setup or corals with shrimp and crabs?

Just like rocks and some shrimp and crabs, maybe corals eventually. I am going to the shop now so what should I look at while I am there i.e. will i still need 1 pound of live rock for 1 gal of water or is it less if you only have inverts etc ....

The rock is very important to inverts so yes, I would still go 1-1.5 lbs per gallon. I kept a shrimp tank for a few months. Invert tanks are cool.

Yes, a ten gallon is ok for inverts. Just keep in mind that a tank that small needs constant attention because even the smallest flux is gonna make a big impact. And, since inverts are more sensitive than fish..... you get the idea I'm sure.
If your intent is to just add some crabs, snails and shrimp for now, 1lbs per gallon is fine to get started. You can always add a bit more as you go. If it were my tank, I'd put in (once the tank is fully cycled of course) maybe, hmm. An emerald or strawberry crab, maybe a hermit or two, some nassarius snails, a feather duster, a pair of cleaner shrimp and some algae eating snails later on once the tank gets some algae. The cleaners would be your centerpiece inverts and they are really entertaining coming to the surface to eat and being very unshy.

Like fluff says 1 lb per gallon is fine seeing there would not be much of a bio load with inverts only. Keeping SG/salinity constant will be important in a small tank. using bas rock is fine but i would add 2-5 lbs or LR also.
Most shrimps and crabs are scavengers so feeding the tank flake and mysid or brine shrimp will be there food source.
I'm a blood/Fire shrimp guy, very cool shrimp....

Back
Top Bottom