Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-13-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you influence a Clownfish to Host an anemone?

Hello. FOWLR I would like to eventually turn into a Reef Tank w Anemones (I some say to start out as a Reef tank others say wait until the tanks established, everyone seems to think Anemones aren't for beginners etc..). In the event I gain the experience neccesary and the tank is in proper order, How can you influence Clownfishes to host? I have a Maroon Clown. Any particular species of anemones they prefer. Lighting levels? Flow?

ronin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
everything i have read says it is basically luck. Some have luck with bubbletip anemones

"Only mistakes happen fast in aquariums"
"The solution to pollution is dulution"
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
In the wild Maroon clowns prefer Entacmaea quadricolor (BTA), but clownfish may adopt other anemones or none at all in home aquariums. BTA's are considered the easiest of anemones to keep. If you want to take trial runs you can add both to a holding tank for 2wks and see if any interest is displayed.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I had two clowns that totally ignored my BTA. Hosted two corals instead.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
You definitely want to make sure your lighting will support an anemone before getting one. There are a few tricks out there for getting clowns near the anemone. Feeding the clowns near the anemone can work (this is what I did). I've read about a guy that got one of those algae clips that looks like a clown and put it near the anemone to trick his clowns into it.

GSM clowns tend to be more prone to accepting an anemone then other types. I've seen them host in tube anemones before. I agree with innovator on his suggestions.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the sea, the Maroon Clownfish is only associated with the Bubble Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor). An alternative anemone that Maroon Clownfish will sometimes accept is the Long Tentacle (Macrodactyla doreensis)

Free Fish Facts
stevekellner is offline   Reply With Quote

anemone, clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com