can you keep an ocean crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calcifer10000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I've got a question: can I keep a small crab from the ocean alive in an aquarium?

If so, would it just be a saltwater aquarium setup or would I need something different? What conditions should I be keeping the crab in now, before I put it in an aquarium? Do they like relatively cold water? Should it be submerged? (It's submerged in ocean water at the moment.)

Thanks!

Yes, it would be a saltwater set up, you can probably get away with some sand and a couple of rocks. You would need to try to recreate the temp of the water it was collected from, if the crab was collected from the North Atlantic, your going to want cooler temps ;)

How big is this crab? If its one of the larger crabs you would definately want to keep it from any seafood lovers.....they may see a meal. (One reason why I dont keep lobsters.....they may become food on my plate, instead of enjoyment in the tank)

The crab should be able to adapt to slightly warmer temps if you do it slowly. But be aware that most of those crabs you find in tidal pools and close to the shores edge like to come out of the water for short periods of time. Like those fresh water crabs you can buy at the LFS these crabs may need an escape. Perhaps a pile of ricks that goes out of the surface of the water. And you can probably just take some rocks from where you get the snail so that you have some ready to go live rock.

My brother managed to get some ocean snails into his tank and they are doing well.

How big is this crab?
Haha, well I'm not much of a seafood fan, but this crab, right now, anyway, is about 1.5 inches long and maybe an inch wide. Very cute, and still alive. Hope it stays that way. I think it'll get big though if I can keep it alive for awhile.

Thanks for the warning, tkos; I've got a slope in the sand and a rock so it can come out if it needs to.

Anyone have a suggestion about feeding it? I don't know what type of crab it is, but in general, are crabs filter feeders or meat eaters?

Yeah, crabs will eat whatever gets in the way pretty much. You can probably just try some regular sinking tablets or shrimp tablets.

Back
Top Bottom