Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,543
I have the 5 stage ro/di from brs. I have well water and awful tds. It takes my reading from up in the hundreds to .04 at the most. My parents are on the same well and have a massive system plumbed into their house with uv filters and a ton else. I accomplished more than them for a fraction of the price with the 5 stage. The nice thing about it is that you can order a drinking faucet and pressure tank along with it. I did and it is very easy to set up, I just never got around to it. It comes with an adapter for your faucet or there are others to choose from. Hope this helps.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
ianeberle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Crestview, FL
Posts: 310
I think I'm just going to buy RO water from the grocery store or LFS... Since I only need 3 gallons a week, it makes the most sense.
__________________

__________________
ianeberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
ianeberle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Crestview, FL
Posts: 310
I'm still not sure, guys... Here's two more products I've been looking at.

At less than $100, this one is fairly inexpensive.
Aquarium II Ro Di Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Aquasafe | eBay

This isn't an RO/DI unit, but it's much cheaper. Would I get similar results?
Aquarium Water Quality: Tap Water Filter
__________________
ianeberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianeberle View Post
I'm still not sure, guys... Here's two more products I've been looking at.

At less than $100, this one is fairly inexpensive.
Aquarium II Ro Di Reverse Osmosis Water Filter Aquasafe | eBay

This isn't an RO/DI unit, but it's much cheaper. Would I get similar results?
Aquarium Water Quality: Tap Water Filter
No the tap water filter is a waste. It will not do even close to what an ro/di unit does. Also the unit you listed looks cheaply made. Look at bulk reef supply 75gph economy unit. $120 for a great unit that produces 0 TDS water. Also the fittings and adapters are all supplied and they are top notch push connect fittings.

I bought this unit and it paid for itself in the forat 6 months. 120 bucks equals about 10 trips to the fish store for water for me, easily worth it to save money and your tank will love you for it.
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
pairenoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 379
how much does water cost in util bill
people say it pays itself off but im dumping out like 40 gallons of water per 10 gallons every 2 weeks, feels like im paying way more :/
__________________
pairenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Reeffanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa canada
Posts: 380
I have the 7stage aqua safe Canada rodi unit that is on eBay it is a pretty solid unit. I would reccomend it. Mine came with 5 sets of prefilters and 2 membranes and di resin
__________________
Reeffanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
ianeberle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Crestview, FL
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post

No the tap water filter is a waste. It will not do even close to what an ro/di unit does. Also the unit you listed looks cheaply made. Look at bulk reef supply 75gph economy unit. $120 for a great unit that produces 0 TDS water. Also the fittings and adapters are all supplied and they are top notch push connect fittings.

I bought this unit and it paid for itself in the forat 6 months. 120 bucks equals about 10 trips to the fish store for water for me, easily worth it to save money and your tank will love you for it.
I just ordered this one. Thanks for everyone's help
__________________
ianeberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
ianeberle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Crestview, FL
Posts: 310
I hate sharing links here on Aquarium Advice, but I feel this one is pretty necessary. I bought the Bulk Reef Supply unit about a month ago and I wrote an extensive review about it...

Review: Bulk Reef Supply 5 Stage RO/DI Unit

Thanks for everyone's help with me picking it out.
__________________
ianeberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
mwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 865
Can You Recommend a Good RO / DI Unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianeberle View Post
I hate sharing links here on Aquarium Advice, but I feel this one is pretty necessary. I bought the Bulk Reef Supply unit about a month ago and I wrote an extensive review about it...

Review: Bulk Reef Supply 5 Stage RO/DI Unit

Thanks for everyone's help with me picking it out.
That was an awesome review.... Just one quick question here how much of an increase dollar amount on your water bill from before installing the unit to after installing the unit???
That is what has been holding me back from ordering my own unit not knowing how much of an increase it would be?????
__________________
mwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
ianeberle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Crestview, FL
Posts: 310
Think about it... I use 15 gallons a week and I believe it's 1:3 waste water of something. So at most, that's 50 gallons a week or so. The average bathtub holds about 40 gallons.

So really they don't affect your water bill at all. That's like filling up the bathtub once every week.
__________________

__________________
ianeberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ro/di, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.