Can you solve the actinic lighting mystery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BTA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A while back some nice reefers here told me all about the benefits of actinic lighting & told me to put actinic bulbs in place of my regular NO lighting but some mysteries still remain...

Is there ANY actinic 03 bulbs available in regular Normal Output fluorescent? Or is Actinic 03 just a term used when talking about VHO or power compact lighting?

I am trying to find a NO fluorescent Actinics. If you guys are using these, can you tell me where you buy the bulbs from?

Now I know a lot of folks sell regular blue bulbs as actinics. I want to get the real Actinic lighting. How can you tell the difference? If it doesn't say 03 or Super actinic, does it mean it is not the real deal?

thank you.

Any actinic bulb should not state a kelvin rating. Be wary of the ones that say "super" or "blue" actinic. These can sometimes be painted bulbs.

There are many lighting places online that should have them. Hello Lights is one but you may also wish to check with the site sponsors here to see what's available.

Cheers
Steve

I can get you URI actinics in 18", 24", 36", 48", and 72". These are standard output bulbs with 180* internal reflectors...very similar to their VHO bulbs. The other sponsors probably can get them for you as well. Champion Lighting would be another source in addtion to Hello Lights.

Coralife makes them as does hamilton and URI zoomed and a host of others. to make sure it is a true actinic it should peak at 420 nanometers.

thanks all for the replies. Everything makes sense now and I finally found them...doh!

Captive Reef..thanks...I'll be ordering MH from you guys shortly.

Back
Top Bottom