Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can you use decorations in a saltwater tank?

I found this decoration at my local pet Store that I thought would look great in my tank(saltwater). But when I asked my main fish guy, he said that the only things I can put in my tank are corals and live rock (decoration wise). So I'm totaly bummed about this. Is there anyone out there who knows different?

Sincerely
B.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO, you CAN put decorations in the tank but most don't reccomend it simply because it's not natural. I don't see anything wrong with it though.

BTW welcome to AquariumAdvice!!

Old 03-06-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Can use them, but they will become covered with algae. Gonna have to clean them or let it collect. You'll be able to decide. It is for aquarium use, right?

Welcome to AA!.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

you can use it but it'll become covered in purple coraline algae! welcome to AA!
Old 03-06-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I spent lots of money on aquarium decorations when I first got my tank, after awhile I found that I much preferred natural decorations like live rock & corals. I don't think I could put anything artificial in my tank now.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyjane
I spent lots of money on aquarium decorations when I first got my tank, after awhile I found that I much preferred natural decorations like live rock & corals. I don't think I could put anything artificial in my tank now.
This is true. Once you become more advanced in the hobby you most likely won't want fake plants in there. It's just something that comes with experience (and money ). But it's definitely worth while. Just take it slow and don't rush.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

And now, a word from the other side...

I have the original tacky tank. No corals, no live rock, and everything in my tank (with the exception of the 4" of aragonite) is artificial. Resin branch coral, resin rock arch (I may replace it with a copy made from a piece of base rock and a masonry bit), Urethane anemone, urethane cup coral. If I find Mount Wannahockalugee in the pet store, I'm buying it!

I am probably the only person on this board not running Berlin method filtration. I'm getting a skimmer, and may even break down and get some base rock, but live rock has too many hitchhickers for my (wife's) taste.

Fish Only Forever!
Old 03-07-2005, 03:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to IworkatPSP
Just be careful with the decoratiosn you buy. Some of the ones we carry in the store I work at are not recommended for marine aquariums. The paint isn't as hardy to the saltwater which would lead to chipping and then possible water contamination.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I second the opinion of Iwork. I was in a store last weekend and wanted to get a little hut from Spongebob for my QT (my son wanted it) and when I got it to the counter I asked if I could put it in my SW QT and they said no way. Back to the shelf it went, much to the dismay of my 2yo!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldnt waste the money on plastic decorations... I would invest it in live rock! Then again I am the girl that in constantly buying more live rock because I still dont have enough.

Tags
deco, decor, decorations, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com