Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can you use hyposalinity on mandarins and clownfish?

I have been reading many links through Google and can't bookmark what I need to refer back to (maybe the function is here on my iPad but am new to it) so I am finding it difficult to find the info a 2nd time. I read clowns can't have hypo treatment nor rays and sharks. Would mandarins be included in that list ? I am thinking it would possibly affect their protective mucous layer? Thanks. Ps some crazy articles have suggested trying copper if the hypo doesn't work...while in hypo!

Also, how quickly should you reduce the SG? Some say slowly over 48-72hrs, others say within 24hrs and one article stated to transfer straight to 1.009 as long as PH, temp etc is the same. My sailfin isn't doing too well but that's because I need to drop the SG faster...I have been hesitant as need to add more fish to the QT first.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Firstly, hypo salinity can really only be done in qt since with established live rock it will create an ammonia spike from dying inverts and sponges in the live rock.

After that, both mandarins and clowns can have hyposalinity but the mandarins run the risk of starving. You will need to feed them quite a few times a day assuming they are accepting frozen foods. Baby brine shrimp will commonly work failing that.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can you use hyposalinity on mandarins and clownfish?

Thanks Mebbid. I am fortunate as mine eat pellets as well as frozen lobster eggs. Only the green is showing signs -not the target or scooter blenny but as he is my favourite I don't want to lose him. A bit nervous that the hypo might kill him....

Old 08-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not sure how much you know about the treatment but here is pretty much the bible for treating marine ich.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
Old 08-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks. This article at least makes reference to mandarins and blennies being more sensitive to copper treatment as they are scaleless fish so would that preclude them from hyposalinity the same as the reference to sharks and rays as they are scaleless? I can't find my large clarki which has been off so I will have to pull the reef apart...again.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI68 View Post
Thanks. This article at least makes reference to mandarins and blennies being more sensitive to copper treatment as they are scaleless fish so would that preclude them from hyposalinity the same as the reference to sharks and rays as they are scaleless? I can't find my large clarki which has been off so I will have to pull the reef apart...again.

Hyposalinity and copper treatment have nothing to do with each other nor should they ever have anything to do with each other. They will do fine with hyposalinity.

Tags
clown, clownfish, fish, mandarin, salinity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com