candy cane coral has may branches that have broken off.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenzo9999

Aquarium Advice Freak
candy cane coral has many branches that have broken off.

I just received and order and the candy cane coral has many branches that have broken off.

Can I epoxy all of the branches to a piece of live rock rubble? Will any of this survive?

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 167
I just received and order and the candy cane coral has may branches that have broken off.

Can I epoxy all of the branches to a piece of live rock rubble? Will any of this survive?

I would call the company and get a full refund on that mess TBO.

I have called - They already gave me a refund. I just need to know how and what to do to save them.

You could try to use glue or epoxy but I don't know how far gone the are.

You glue some to frag plugs. That might easier then trying to glue that all back together.

I can just use a gel super glue?

This will work while it is under water?

You can use super glue gel but you have to use it A LOT. IMO just use Epoxy

If they are alive now, they will all live and become colonies of their own. This is how they are fragged in the first place. There is no life inside the skeleton except for at the very top where the flesh is. I wouldn't bother trying to glue it all back together. I'd spread a couple pieces around the tank and stab the rest in the sand, and let them all get nice and healthy, then I would offer the smaller pieces I didn't want for sale.
Super glue Gel is safe. I don't know about other adhesives.

How do I know if they are alive?

Also when you add new corals to the Aquarium do you leave the lights off for awhile?

How you know they are alive is if there is flesh/polyps on the ends of the skeleton. if the ends are pure white and show nothing but skeleton, they are dead.
They don't look dead from the picture.
I don't leave the lights off, but I start new corals low. On the sand bed or low on the rock, then bring them up to the desired positions over a period of a couple weeks or so.

Thanks Mr_X - very helpful.

Do you dip your corals before adding to the tank?

Great - that is currently what I am waiting for from the UPS guy. This way I can dip nd then add!

You generally don't get a lot of bad hitch hikers on something like candycanes. Mainly sps and zoas is what I would worry about. I don't keep zoas, and I visually inspect my sps. A macro image of a coral tells a lot about it.

In the same shipment I received Toadstool Mushroom, Cauliflower Colt, and a Devils Hand.

Are these items you would dip?

Back
Top Bottom