Canister advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlopNewsom

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a canister to put media in. It has 4 trays. The top one has a sponge in it and all four have a filter media in the bottom. What is the best way to set this up so that it is not the "nitrate" factory I hear about?

To make sure its not the "factory" you have to clean out the decaying matter that enters it. Food, algae and poo get sucked in and trapped in a dark canister where they start to decay and nitrify. I have a fluval 305 with sponge, chemipure elite and carbon. I clean it out thoroughly about every 10 days. Its a good practice to do it with waterchanges can you dump the dirty water and fill it with fresh before hooking it back up...

+1. Just by it's very nature of trapping old food, detritus, etc, canisters are nitrate factories unless cleaned out very often. This is where the benefit of a protein skimmer comes in. The canister traps material, but allows it to rot within the water column, converting to nitrates.... whereas a skimmer removes & isolates "gunk" away from the water column.

Yep +1 on the cleaning often. I used to clean mine out every 7 days and finally got tired of it and bought 2 reactors one for GFO and one for GAC. Canister filter is in the shed

Sorry to hijack but for my 55 gallon reef without sump I run a eheim canister and a reef octopus hob skimmer. Would I just remove the canister since it really does not serve a purpose other then creating more work for me and not benefiting my tank other than causing nitrates?

I also have a Fluval 305 canister filter and its been doing a good job for me so far. Like the other comments mention you do have to clean it at lease every other week.

The skimmer should be removing everything the canister filter does if its a good quality skimmer, is functioning properly

Back
Top Bottom