Canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfighter

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do I need it? Thinking about going w just a skimmer and some power heads along w plenty of live rock as well.

I have a canister, I am regretting it. I will be eventually switching over to a sump/refugium. I have read from a lot of people saying that the canister filters are huge nitrate factories, but if you clean them frequently, you'll be OK. I thoroughly clean mine every 2 weeks, and still have some nitrate issues... I spent quite a bit of money on my canister and will most likely be switching it off. I would go with your idea, get the skimmer running, get that 1.5 lb per gallon (at least) of Live Rock, and the power heads. I'm not sure if you could cut the filter out totally with out a sump, but i'm interesting in seeing what other people say.

I believe you will still need some ways to take care of your mechanical and chemical filtrations. The protein skimmer will deal with organic wastes and control inorganics indirectly. Adviceable to run reactors to adrress phosphates and nitrates directly. And of course disciplined feeding. Most aquarists who doesnt have canister filters have sump/refugiums, skimmers and reactors and have perfect marine aquariums.

Defiantly need to get a sump going either way. Will try that first and maybe cut the canister off for a while and see how things go

Back
Top Bottom