Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I'm wondering about the Canister Filter. I've been told by my local pet pro that this filter is the best I can get for my 75g SW, is this true??
It's going to run me alittle over 200.

Main use for a canister on a SW tank is for flow, and carbon. You don't need filter media if you use live rock, which has quickly become the most common SW setup. Its natural filtration, and provides the fish with a much more natural environment.

I'd spend that cash on a good skimmer. You can always use a cheap HOB filter with a bag of carbon inside to get the benefits of carbon, and powerheads will give you all the current you need.

A cannister would be ok for a Fish Only tank. But I agree with jaiden. get lots of LR (1½-2 pounds/gallon capacity) and a good skimmer. I would also add a sump for the extra capacity and as a good place for the heater, skimmer, etc.

Thanks guys. Basically I need a couple of power heads, and just go with the lr? Will also be picking up a protein skimmer.

Yes. LR and a good skimmer is all the filtration you really need. I'd take that $200 and purchase a good skimmer.

A Remora Pro would work good on a tank that size.

Back
Top Bottom