Canister filter for GFO/carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can't find reactors anywhere around where I live. But Canister filters are on sale for almost half off at a big name pet store. I don't really see why it wouldn't work but does anyone foresee any problems with putting GFO and Carbon in one?

Carbon in a canister filter is fine, but most run to fast to run GFO in it.
You need a slow moving reactor for GFO.
Run a liquid Lanthanum instead of running GFO. I use SeaKlear to remove phosphates.

Carbon needs to stay tight and not tumble or it is all bad.
GFO needs to tumble or will clog and become less effiecent.
I agree with RM;
Carbon yes in canister.
GFO no in canister(not sure RM was so specific).
I am very close to seaklear myself,as even the high grade GFO is still a little more then I would like to be keeping up on in the future.
Not to mention less equipment ,heat ,expense.......

thanks for the info. could you elaborate more on the seaklear? a quick internet search and I find it's usually used in pools? I'm at work so I can only do quick reading atm. Thanks

I like to run Phosguard over GFO in my reactors. There are other things to remove phosphates that would work much better than GFO in a canister, like already stated.

awesome! once I get out of work I'll do some extensive research instead of going with the one guy at the LFS

Carbon needs to stay tight and not tumble or it is all bad.
GFO needs to tumble or will clog and become less effiecent.
I agree with RM;
Carbon yes in canister.
GFO no in canister(not sure RM was so specific).
I am very close to seaklear myself,as even the high grade GFO is still a little more then I would like to be keeping up on in the future.
Not to mention less equipment ,heat ,expense.......

according to the "how-to" videos on BRS, they also recommend mixing the carbon and GFO together at a 2 to 1 ratio ( 2 cups carbon-1 cup GFO) and mix it thoroughly but gently and then the GFO will not clump. ;)

That is one way they suggest running it in their reactors and why they advertise them as being able to handle carbon and GFO simultaneously.

So if that was done, I see no reason it wouldn't work in a canister, but I would use a slower flow rate one for sure.
The original, plain-jane vanilla Ehiem canister filter would be perfect.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/index.php/video/index/view/id/18

Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO) Instructions - Instructions - Bulk Reef Supply

For use in a filter bag:

Pour the GFO into the bag and close securely

Rinse with RO water or place under a faucet until the water runs clear

Place in a high flow area of the tank or sump to maximize water flow through the GFO

Change the media when phosphate levels rise or algae growth becomes visible (4-8 weeks)

For use in a media reactor:

Place GFO in suitable reactor

Place the reactor's return line into a bucket or sink

Turn on the feed pump to flush the fines from the GFO until the water runs clear

Place the return line in the tank

Reduce the flow through the reactor so the GFO barely tumbles on the surface.
Do not allow the material to vigorously tumble.

Change the media when phosphate levels rise, typically 4-8 weeks.

I got ya. I've seen em too. Just a bit contradictory, if you read their instructions is all.

Back
Top Bottom