Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Canister filter for reef?

I have a 90 gallon reef tank that has been running for about 9 months. I do 30 gallon water changes every other week and nitrates stay around 7. Everything is perfect except for the sound. The water pouring into the filter sock is loud and the skimmer and pump are loud. Its in my room so it is quite disturbing. I have tried to quiet everything with multiple methods but none do much. I am starting a new fresh water tank and was researching canister filters and then i thought about one for the 90. I always heard that canister filters were nitrate factories but just recently i started to read forums and it sounds like canister filters are neglected. My question is, if i can get a good quality canister filter and properly maintain it will it work well? Also what are the pros and cons to a canister filter vs a sump?

Old 04-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a fluval g6 that I've used on a reef tank for some three or four years now. I don't use it for bio, but use the baskets for things like carbon and matrix etc. I have never had it leech things back. It's not really inexpensive, but it tells me when I last changed everything, and I just follow the alerts I set in it to tell me when to change things (you may have gathered, but I have the memory span of a crack addled ferret ) I do run to large dumps also, one for heaters and skimmer, one the scrubber dumps into. The downsides to just a canister, imo, less overall water volume (opposed to having a sump) less aeration also ( cascading effect, as well as skimmer ) the higher the water volume, the less a slight chemical change effects.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you have anything else for filtration?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The skimmer, algae scrubber, and lots of live rock /sand

Old 04-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just noticed my auto correct changed sumps to dumps, sorry

Old 04-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay thanks, i have alot of live rock too. And a way over sized skimmer. The only fear i have with changing over to the canister filter is getting rid of the skimmer. About 4 or 5 months ago i turned the filter off and never turned it back on for about two months and nitrates didnt budge.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd agree on the skimmer... Out of curiosity, how does the water "dump " into the sock... Mine made me crazy with noise also when I had one, but i was able to quiet it pretty well

Old 04-27-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I never though about the gas exchange. I have plenty of surface agitation but the skimmer and sump add a lot of aeration i suppose could run an air stone in the black over flow cover. I am always worried about aeration because last summer the tank got too hot and the fish were breathing really heavily. Hot water absorbs les o2 than cold water
Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a bulk head from the bottom of the tank hard piped to the sock and a piece of pvc that extends into the water
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine came down in a similar way, just from an overflow. I put an elbow at the end, do it dumped out literally hitting the side of the sock rather than into the center. It did help quite a bit.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com