Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-25-2004, 11:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Canister filter or sump????

I currently am running a Eheim 2213 canaster filter and a protein skimmer. I am building a marine tank and am about to start buying corals, already have 8 fish and 80# live rock. The tank is a 60 gallons and is drilled so the intake and out for the canister are through the back of the tank. should I get ride of the Eheim and go with a sump? or is the filter good enough?? also if i go with the sump can I use the intake/out that is currently in place?

divemasterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 05:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sumps are great. I would set one up, but leave the canister for flow. If neseccary, you can use carbon or phos ban in the canister to "polish" the water.
The added water volume will make the system more stable, and easier to work on.

A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to ogden10
One thing I would add about switching to a sump or wet/dry type filter. The maintenence is ALOT easier....

I have the same canister filter on one of my tanks, and I dread having to mess with it when it comes time for cleaning. I also like that with the sump you can move the rest of the junk out of the tank into the sump.... no heaters or skimmers or hose messing up the view.

You do have alot of fish in your tank....I am not one to talk about overstocking so hey if it works for you go for it, but I am sure extra filtration would not hurt. That being said IMO I would think you have decent filtration with that much rock and the eheim and a decent protein skimmer.....assuming you don't have alot of messy eaters, which I would think not since you are talking about corals.

Good luck and have fun
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
ogden10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
hmmm think I will build a sump
60 Galon Tank
(3) Maxi Jet 1200
Eheim 2213 filter
CPR Bak Pak Protein skimmer
Rena 200 watt heater
T-5 Ligihting
(2) 54 watt
(2) 36 watt
Water General RO+DI
(4) Homade Moonlights LED 470nm
87# Live Rock Gulf, Keys, Bali
80# Crushed Coral with Aragonite
(2) Percula Clownfish
(1) 3 Spot Domino Damselfish
(2) Yellowtail Damselfish
(2) Sargent Major Damselfish
(1) Choclate Chip Starfish
(3) Brittle Stars
Lots of Snails and Hermit Crabs (Not Identified)
(5) Crab (Not Identified)
(2) Black Urchin
(10) Dwarf Red tipped Hermit crabs
(7) Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
(9) Mexican Turbo Snails
(3) Peppermint Shrimp
Lots of other stuff (Not Identified)
divemasterjim is offline   Reply With Quote

canister, canister filter, filter, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com