Canister filter or sump????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divemasterjim

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently am running a Eheim 2213 canaster filter and a protein skimmer. I am building a marine tank and am about to start buying corals, already have 8 fish and 80# live rock. The tank is a 60 gallons and is drilled so the intake and out for the canister are through the back of the tank. should I get ride of the Eheim and go with a sump? or is the filter good enough?? also if i go with the sump can I use the intake/out that is currently in place?

Sumps are great. I would set one up, but leave the canister for flow. If neseccary, you can use carbon or phos ban in the canister to "polish" the water.
The added water volume will make the system more stable, and easier to work on.

One thing I would add about switching to a sump or wet/dry type filter. The maintenence is ALOT easier....

I have the same canister filter on one of my tanks, and I dread having to mess with it when it comes time for cleaning. I also like that with the sump you can move the rest of the junk out of the tank into the sump.... no heaters or skimmers or hose messing up the view.

You do have alot of fish in your tank....I am not one to talk about overstocking so hey if it works for you go for it, but I am sure extra filtration would not hurt. That being said IMO I would think you have decent filtration with that much rock and the eheim and a decent protein skimmer.....assuming you don't have alot of messy eaters, which I would think not since you are talking about corals.

Good luck and have fun

Back
Top Bottom