Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2004, 05:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is why many of us that have the overflow would have preferred to have it drilled instead now. It is the best method, so hopefully you can have it drilled. Good luck!

Mike

Old 12-21-2004, 01:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rsquared333 Send a message via MSN to Rsquared333 Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared333
It turns out that the entire tank is tempered glass so I can't drill a hole. The sump stories are a little discouraging should I go with one or just use the live rock and a protien skimmer?

Old 12-22-2004, 01:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rsquared333 Send a message via MSN to Rsquared333 Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared333
It turns out the entire bow front tank is tempered glass. It looks like I will have to go with an overflow box. what are the gph rates I should use for the siphon and return pump that would be ok for my 46 gal?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

could I just use the LR and a protien skimmer or would it be better to go with the sump/refugium?
Old 12-22-2004, 10:26 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

1.5-2lbs/gal of LR with a LS bed and a good skimmer will give you great bio-filtration (Berlin method, I think). Do not be too scared off by the idea of using an overflow box/sump setup. There are some things you can do greatly reduce the chance of wet carptet. I have heard of people drilling a hole in the U tube of the intake hose to the sump. This should be drilled just below the water line in your tank. In the event you loose electricity, the water level will fall exposing the hole you drilled. This should break the siphon and prevent water from running into your sump. One caution...make sure ther is enough extra room in your sump to handle the water that is in your plumbing and the water that will run into it until the siphon breaks. Make sense? Disclaimer...I have never actually used an external overflow, just go the info from the folks on this site. IMO, the benifits of a sump/fuge outweigh the risks...Lando
Old 12-22-2004, 08:29 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

What brand tank? E-mail them you may get a better answer thats what I did with perfecto and they got back to me fast.
I have both tanks drilled with bulk head fittings and this system is quick and easy to install. No issues and IMO just as good as the durso system. Can send pics if needed

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks a lot I will look into doing that. I guess I will go with the sump/refugium because I found a way to bypass the power shortage problem. I work at The Home Depot and was talking to a friend who works in electrical and he may have a way to make a backup for my plug just in case something happens.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:04 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Loss of siphon?

Why do you lose the siphon? All of the ones I've seen maintain sufficient water in both halves of the overflow box to maintain siphon even when the system isn't running.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:17 AM   #19

You could always do a hang on skimmer and a CPR hang on aquafuge.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:28 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripper
The biggest problem I have seen is not necessarily having the power go out. My sump is large enough to hold the excess water. However, if the power comes back on before you get back, the pump will pump the entire contents of the sump into the main and that will certainly cause an overflow. That is my biggest concern and is the reason I am looking at shutting down my sump and just using my LR and skimmer for my filtration. HTH

tripper

I hear ya. This is my foremost concern with my tank. I can control everything else, but I can't control the power company.

There is (and I'm still looking into it) a power receptacle that needs to be reset if power is lost. So, if your power goes out, the siphon breaks and fills the sump. When power returns, the pump WILL NOT start until you reset it. Hook up a couple battery-powered air pumps and you're back in business.

I'm still trying to locate one of these elusive receptacles.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, refugium, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com