Canister filter's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinky77

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys just a quick one would any one agree that canister filters are nitrate factorys c i use one myself a eneim 2250 just to store carbon rowa phos filter fliss ph rock i read somewere on the web that this could be the fact or does anyone use one and has came across this cheers ......?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Yea i would clean mine when i do the pwc in feeding marine snow plankton diet but even thou when i turn it of for the hour after i dose the snow when i turn it back on there's like junk comes outa the filter hose and spray bar which i have to use a net to catch it and remove it it is lite brown in colour and looks like wool i checked my filter floss and even moved it to the middle sandwiched between the rowa and the carbon .....?

Do you have elevated nitrates?

The filter floss should be cleaned weekly, and it should be the first stage of your filtration. If it's not the first section of the cannister, then larger particles will accumulate in whatever is in that section and cause higher nitrates.

No i keep them pretty much under control i would clean it out weekly with my pwc i was just wondering i will move the floss to the bottom it seems to bo in the filter hose might need to blow the hoseing out to clear all that junk out what do you think .......?

Place the floss directly in the path of the incoming water from your tank. This way any large pieces of debris will be caught and will be cleaned away when you wash the floss each week, this way they can't get into places where its hard for you to get rid of them, so they can't sit and decay and build up your nitrates.

Cheers i cleaned all the hoseing last nite you wanna c the junk i flused out of it and i place it at first stage ie bottom of the filter cartdrige it's running like a dream now and pumping faster cheers pal ........

Back
Top Bottom