Canister used as reactor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 29 gallon reef tank. Been using a Fluval canister filter 305 on it. Decided to start a sump for the tank. Don't want to waste my money that I spent on the canister filter so I thought about using it for a carbon and gfo reactor. Taking all the media out except carbon and gfo and a couple of sponge filters. Do you think this would work for a reactor?

It'll be fine. It won't be a reactor but will do nearly the same job. A reactor is basically a specialized canister filter. You'll be using a general canister. Nothing at all wrong with that. It'll still need regular maintenance on the sponges.

That's what I thought. Hated to waste my money on the canister so thought I could use it in a different way. Probably shouldn't use as many sponges though.

If you use sponges you'll just have to clean them out regularly. Nothing wrong with using them. They'll actually be great for cleaning out particles but a pain to clean. If you get into a routine it'll be fine. Best part is when you tire of maintenance you can just shelve the thing for a month or two. Once the GFO has the phosphates down to zero you won't really need it for a while as long as you're doing normal PWCs and not overfeeding.

Then your tank should run fine. I actually think canisters are much better as chemical filters for saltwater than anything else. That's opposite the way I use them on planted tanks. They really are versatile.

Back
Top Bottom