Cannister Filter Media for Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering what media, if any, I really need (or should not have at all) in my cannister filter for my 45 gallon reef system. First, the hardware:
Fluval 305 filter
BakPak Protein Skimmer (no bio-bale)
AquaClear powerhead (for waterflow only)
Then naturally, I have the LR and LS. Also of note, I do not have a sump or a refuge.

Currently in the cannister filter, I have:
2 foam blocks
1 chamber with Pre-Filter media (the hexagon blocks with holes in the middle)
1 chamber with 2 bags of Chemi-Pure (carbon)
1 chamber with 1 bag of Phos-Zorb

I clean the filter and rinse the foam blocks once a month, and replace the filter media about every 2 months (but never all at once).

I have been running this system for about a year now and {knock on wood} have never had any problems, but was wondering if some of the media was necessary or potentially harmful such as as the foam for potential nitrate(?) housing, though my water tests have always yeilded good results.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. If you keep your maint up like you are doing, you should be good to go. If you aren't having algae blooms or poor water quality, keep doing what you are doing. Personally, I took out the sponges, but it sounds like you have a great maint schedule.

It's only good when I keep to it, and I keep to it from a previous lesson learned! (Hair algae infestation which I was finally able to beat).

And those sponges do catch alot of gunk, which keeps me on my toes about making sure they are rinsed and cleaned each month.

I agree with the others. I've been using a fluval cannister with phosban and purigen for some time now and my parameters are fine. I took out the foam last week but am going to put it back in on my next cleaning (next week).

Back
Top Bottom