can't figure out gallons per hour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thartsockpg

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so i have a 30 gallon display tank and a ten gallon soon to be sump(if i can figure this out) i recently bought a 200 gph return pump for the sump. if it has to go about 3 feet up to the display tank how many gallons per hour is that. also how do i figure in the overflow pumps that go to the sump. how big should the radius of the tubing be to accommodate the return pump.
thanks to all, i have spent so much time today on this.

For over flows i use two 1" pipes they flow about 600 gph but your return pump is what controls the over flow. For the radius of your return pump use what fits on the pump out put. Head loss will depend on the return pump.

You only need one pump, which is your return pump, unless you are referring to an aqualifter pump, which makes sure you dont lose siphon.

In terms of gph, google search for a gph calculator. This will help you pick out the right return pump. I always get more than needed and tone it down with a ball valve.

The size of your return line will be dictated by the return pumps outlet size.

The manufacturer of your pump should have a chart or graph on their website or in the manual which shows the gph at different head pressures.

Back
Top Bottom