Can't Get Ca, Mg, Alk Levels Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drumlizardo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, reefers!

I've had a 28-gallon nano going for about nine months, and have been slowly adding new frags to it (plus a new 2-inch maxima!). Recently I've been having a LOT of trouble keeping my calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity levels up. I use B-Ionic, and I'm now dosing 50 milliliters a DAY of each component, and my levels are still low: 340 for Ca, 1200 for Mg, and 10.8 for alk. (The alkalinity seems to stay a bit closer to normal than the Ca and the Mg, usually. Also, these measurements are right before daily dosing, so the levels probably increase a bit after I dose.) Any idea how this could be happening? This is my first reef aquarium, but 50 mL a day seems ridiculous for a 28-gallon tank. I've only got about 10 frags in there, and I'm doing 5-gallon water changes weekly. Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

James

More information:

28-gallon JBJ Nano Cube
150 watts of LEDs—10,000 K white and royal blue
Two 425 GPH powerheads (malfunctioning as of a few weeks ago, getting more like 200 GPH each)
Two 280 GPH return pumps
Protein skimmer
5-gallon water change every week
Feed mysis shrimp, hard pellets, Phyto-Feast, other treats

Salinity: 1.025
Calcium: 340
Alkalinity: 10.8
Magnesium:1200
Phosphate: near 0
Temperature: 79 degrees F

Inhabitants:
2 clownfish
1 melanurus wrasse
1 2-inch maxima clam (aquacultured, baby!)
1 red fire shrimp
1 red starfish
Turban, turbo, nassarius, and nerite snails
Acropora, montipora, birdsnest, zoanthids, blastomussa, ricordea, lithophyllum, leptoseris, pulsing Xenia, galaxea

Are you using b-ionic's Mag. Product as well? Once you get your magnesium to about 1350 you calcium and alk should level out

Nope, I'm not using B-Ionic's magnesium product. Is it necessary to use it in addition to their two-part calcium/alkalinity product? The reason I ask is that I know the two-part stuff already has magnesium in it, and it seems like all three of my levels are similarly far from normal, rather than magnesium being even lower than the others…

The two part should level out Mag too. And with your 5g water changes, I doubt your mag levels would decrease like that. You're sure the test kits you're using are of the best quality? I wouldn't depend on any API test kits. They'll work, but for serious matters its got to be Salifert or Hannah for me. Even redsea leaves too much to be eye-balled when dealing with the color titration kits.

You missed mentioning your PH. I had similar problem before. With low magnesium you can never raise you calcium with B-ionic. You need to raise magnesium first then adjust calcium. However, magnesium has a reverse interaction with PH. Meaning lower PH has a tendency to raise magnesium.

A two part is not best to fish levels out of wack IMO. I would due the mag and calcium individually until they are correct then go back to the two part

How long do you mix your salt water and what brand of salt. I would check your fresh mix of salt, sometimes they have bad batches of salt might want to start there first

Back
Top Bottom