CAN'T GET RID OF ALL THE HAIR ALGAE ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reelalure

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been having the problem with the hair algae for about 2-3 weeks I have lots of snails and red leg hermits in there and it is still not solving the problem. I do a 20% water change every two weeks for my tank. I just did a water change about 2 days ago and it all came back the next day I want to take care of it before it over runs my tank. Any help will be appreciated. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The biggest problem will be PO4. It is the greatest contributor to unwanted algae growth. I would suggest getting the PO4 tested to determine the level in your tank. If you are not using a sufficiently pure water source like RO, I would also get the source water tested.

The algae will continue to plague your tank as long as the fuel source (PO4) continues to be introduced. No amount of animals will get rid of it, they will just help control it some.

Cheers
Steve

I had the same problem and I solved it just how steve-s said. First I switch to RO/DI water along with so big water changes. I then Added some turbos and blue leg hermits(I think that eat algae more then the red) I then used a PO4 extractor. I think it was call phosban or something like that. My algae went away pretty fast. Good luck that stuff is a pain

Give us some more info about your tank. Whats your source of water? How much light do you have over the tank? Does your tank get any sunlight?

Hello fishfreak, reelalure is my dad, I solved the problem I bought a phosphate pad and my little empreror could only fit half a pad so I cutt in half and still have another whole pad for the future and it came with some little powder additive. I don't know if your familiar with these but you put the first one in for 24 hours then replace it with the new pad for 48 hours and I just put the second pad in and half of the algea is gone. thanks for the replys. I am getting ready to order a phosphate test kit because neither of LFS carry them for some reason so you got any suggestions on which one? :D

You also need to cut the feedings. Feed your fish every other day. When I cut back on mine from every day to every other day it did not take long for the hair algea to go. I have since fed my fish every other day for years and have not seen hair algea since. Keep the extra organics out. That is what feeds the algea. The PO4 and lights do too. Good Luck

This could be true but the main problem is that algea has to feed on something. You have to get the organics out of the water. Try putting some macro algea like Calerpa in tank as this will use up a lot of organic material in tank causing hair algea to disapear. I speak from experience on this subject. Good luck

Algea was a HUGE problem for me! It all exploded when I upgraded my lighting from compacts to VHO's. The root cause of the problem was phosphate. After going to a couple LFS and getting some good advice I started to treat the problem. Yeah I tried the inexpensive way and tried pads in my filter and tried the phosphate sponge, but what really worked was a product(chemical) called Phosbuster through Caribsea. This worked wonders - I am still shocked. Virtually eliminated all algea in the tank within a week and a half. I could start seeing progress as early as day after putting it in the tank. The product costs about $20.00. from a LFS or you can order it online

Keep in mind that using products and PO4 sponges does not really "solve" the problem. Items like this, while helpful at the begining, are mearly band-aids. You still need to get to the root of the problem to eliminate it. As mentioned, source water is the biggest contributor. Howver, foods can also introduce PO4 into the water causing a decline in water quality.

I was gone this weekend and when I came back I found what I think is hair algae growing on my rock. I thought I had the same stuff on the substrate, but it looks like that is cyano bacteria.

I have a 10 gallon reef with a MaxiJet 400 providing the bulk of the movement. There is also a HOB filter that provides some movement, but not too much. The water is pre-mixed RO water from my LFS, and the lighting is a 2X48W daylight/actinic PC. I haven't fed anything yet because I don't have fish yet, but I did add a couple pellets to see if I could coax out whatever's clicking in my tank.

I don't have a PO4 test kit, but I have a couple kits to get tonight and might as well add that to the list. :)

Do I need another PH, or can I get away with just repositioning it? How do I know where the water flow is going?

Thanks
-j

Another small PH would not hurt. Put them in oppisite corners of the tank adn direct them at each other to create a caotic current.

Back
Top Bottom